All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
junker

shipping frames

Post by junker »

Afriend sold a old harley frame and cant find anyone to ship it.any suggestions
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: shipping frames

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Junker

I just went through the same thing a week ago. Both the U.S. Postal Service and United Parcel have recently gone to a "dimensional weight" system, they add weight based on how much bigger it is than their standard dimensions. They will ship them but it gets real pricey in a hurry, a frame that actually weighs about 35 pounds goes for the price of something weighing 90 pounds.

One trick you can use with UPS is to ship at their commercial rates, they charge less when delivery is to a business address instead of a residence.

If you find a cheap shipper please let us all know.

mike
mikes71sporty
Inactive member
Bikes: 1971/74 sporty

Post by mikes71sporty »

My suggestion would be to fabricate a box for it and ship it via Federal Express. You can take it to any Fedex Kinkos and ship from there. To ship via Fedex Ground the guidelines are as follows: The overall dimensions of height+width+length need to be under 119 inches when added together. The overall weight needs to be under 150 lbs. Be sure to put an adequate declared value on the shipping form. If the value is over $499 they might want to look in the box. Tell them it is too dificult to open and they will list it as "refused inspection". This happens every day and is normal. You might want to ship the title separate just in case the box is somehow opened or damaged. I work at a Fedex Kinkos in the Shipping Department.

When getting a shipping rate quote get it directly from a Fedex Shipping Center. If you call an independant shipper such as "Mail Box Plus"...etc they will be substantially higher as they will add thier profit on top of the standard Fedex rate.

Check your local listings for a Fedex Kinkos in your area or:
1-800-gofedex or http://www.fedex.com is a good place for more info or a quote as well.

I recently bought a 74 sportster frame from a guy in NJ. He didn't want to mess with shipping and packing issues so here is what I did.

I built a box out of 3/4 plywood for the perimiter and 1/4 luon (spelling error) for the large flat sides. Screw it together with deck screws and wood glue.. . I shipped the empty box to him via Federal Express. He unscrewed the lid, put the frame in, tied it down and replaced the lid. Dropped it off at a Fedex Kinkos and shipped it back to me.

I hope this helps.
Mike
Last edited by mikes71sporty on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

I had a VL frame sent to me by UPS a few years ago with nothing more than a piece of card bord well taped to the gas tank frame loop with addres on it. Frame was bent and I had to twek it back in to shape. I don't think is was bent in shipping. I think it had been in a hard crash at some point in it's 70 year life.

Robert
junker

Post by junker »

thanks for the tips fedx looks like the next place to try.
1950Bobber

Post by 1950Bobber »

Try: ForwardAir....you can't go wrong. They have a website.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”