12,000 miles and still does not want to start when cold

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics

12,000 miles and still does not want to start when cold

Post by Guest »

Hi, new guy to the board with an old problem. After putting my 60 pan back together it has never wanted to start when cold, these sessions take up to 1/2 hour. I have checked for air leaks, found none but took manifold off any way put in new o rings, sanded all mating surfaces with sand paper on a flat surface. I've tried 4 different carbs. and points to elec. and back again twice. I've changed jets and timing more times than Vance&Hines at the track. This is an 84c/i that runs very strong,(very). The only thing that I have found for sure is that turning the idle screw in 1/2 turn before kicking helps some what. This has gone on for 3 yrs. and 12,000 miles. Think it's just me?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Are you running solid lifters or hydraulics and are you sure they are adj. correctly ?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Guest!

How did you check for air leaks?

Did you test the pan cover screws over each intake port?

.....Cotten

Test

Post by guest »

I have Jims big axle rollers which I have adjusted a few times. Compression check shows approx. 93lbs. each. I checked for leaks the same way I've done it for many years, but now that I have read about the pressure method here it sounds like a more exact science. I've always had a feeling that an air leak was the culprit but I couldn't find it. Thanks for the help. Sure wish I could post with my user name, but I get the message that is already being used.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

If you did not pressure check the way that's endorsed here , it would be a good place to start and do other trouble checking after that has been eliminated.
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

Post by hjans »

had the same problem with my 72'shovel years ago. After 6 months, knowing nothing better to do, i changed the ignitioncoil, and that solved all.
Turned out that the spark looked good, but wasn't good at all.
Just try it....... maybe it'l work .

hard to start when cold

Post by guest »

Suddenly the light came on. Take out the standard 3-4 plugs and use a Champion with an R in the Plug No. Seems simple when you run an elec. ign. system, welcome to my world. No more starting issues at all, couple of kicks and wheeeeeee look at me go.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”