Communists have invaded the Harly dealerships

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
mogman
Inactive member

Communists have invaded the Harly dealerships

Post by mogman »

Communists have invaded the Harley dealerships, At least the Corpus Christi dealer, I tried to make an appointment to have my Duo-Glide put on the dyno to set the fuel mixture and they flatly refused saying they would not work on ANY Harley before the Evo, I always knew they sucked, wanting only to deal with “appliance” operators (jack asses that could not work on their bike if their life depended on it) But this is taking it TOO far…. :x :x :x :x
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

Sorry I am PISSED and miss spelled HARLEY
Craig
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

That is a good thing. Do you really want some "know nothing about vintage machines" parts changer working on your bike anyway?
A good Mechanic can usually determine if the part itself can be repaired, or if it needs replacing. He can read the books and if he has access to the tooling, can usually buffalo his way through repairing these lo tech machines.

A parts changer is just that---throw parts at it and hope it works.

I know I don't want just anybody working on my bike.
If I run into anything that I cannot do to repair my machine, I check on the web. Someone out there is willing to advise and or help. Especially some of the great individuals here on this site.

When I first started rebuilding my 51 FL, I checked for parts at our local HD dealer. They do not even have any of the older bike parts listed in their computers and will not even attempt to locate parts.
IMHO
Big Nick
Inactive member

Post by Big Nick »

Not a dealer around the NY area will work on anything older than an Evo. Hell, the shop I work at isnt even crazy about working on the older bikes either. We have on mechanic that will do the jobs, everyone else just wants to stick to Evos and powercomanders on twin cams.

Post by Guest »

Even a Bozo can read an exhaust analyzer and turn a mixture screw ...
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Anonymous wrote:Even a Bozo can read an exhaust analyzer and turn a mixture screw ...
I don't know about that---
I know a journeyman carpenter that still thinks 1/4 inch on a tape is"A medium sized mark" that 5/16 inch is a "Medium mark and a little one"
Sounds like the product of "No kids left behind".
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I recently had a contractor/carpenter install frame work that I requested at two feet result at 20 inches, except where 19" was "close enough".

Guess who finished the job.

The contractor also left several pieces of scaffolding since January. I alerted him, but it looks like I shall soon let scrappers take it to China.

Expecting a modern H-D Dealership to provide accurate work on a fine piece of machinery is Living in the Past.

The USA has doomed itself. If the "economic incentive" tax rebate is any more than "bread and circuses", then I'm a monkey's uncle fer sure.

Sorry to get politikal on something other than stinky fuel. Honest.

...Cotten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i don't think i can even buy spark plugs for my bike at the local dealership anymore.

let alone 50 weight oil.

john
Ripley/Fla

Post by Ripley/Fla »

Mogman, I flipped out the first time I went back to my local dealer, too. They referred me to a local performance shop for engine work. As time went by I found myself drifting back to the dealer for stuff, such as new tires. I started going back because I found an old timer who helped me find some parts for my out of date 84-99 front end! You may, and I say may, find one at your dealer. As Cotten told me, you won't find a Ford dealer that will help you with an older car either. For your info, the performance cycle shop, who said they could do the motor, sent one half of the cases to Colorado - the other half to Georgia (one without my knowledge) and now they are EFFED UP! 10 weeks went by and the whole mess is on its way to El Cajon, California. Beware of where you take your bike, do it yourself if you can. As most bikers don't know much on the mechanical end, they have bred "shops" that hang on extended swing arms, exhaust systems, and airboxes, but really don't know or give a s**t about older rides.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Don't get me started on this hot topic, i could go on all night!

Actually Mogman its the exact opposite of communists that have taken over the stealerships, its capitalists, or, more accurately, merchandisers. The stores are now clothing and chrome boutiques. They offer for sale whatever they can sell, at a huge markup, with little or no effort invloved or knowledge required. There's no profit in keeping a few old bikes on the street and it requires work, time, some know-how, special equipment and, above all, craftsmanship. None of the above are available or even part of the vocabulary of the current generation.

My local shop keeps panhead plugs and straight 60 weight in stock for me but I think its mostly because I buy a new Geezer Glide every other year and my wife is a regular impulse buyer in their boutique.

mike
59pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

cc Dealer

Post by 59pan »

I was in Corpus one time and stopped by the cc dealer to kill a few minutes. The owner was there and told him that I owned a 59flh. He said that he had several 60's-60's vintage bikes in his collection there on site. I asked him if I might look at them and he simply said No! Very nice.

Asking a Harley dealer to work on your vintage bike would be the same result as if you took it to a Subaru dealer.
hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

welcome to the new times

Post by hjans »

all i read here is very recognizable. I drove my first shovel some 25 years ago ( about yesterday to some of you, i guess). Those days only trash and criminals ( according to the setled class) drove a bike, and only the worst of them drove a Harley. Then came the time the professor, the dentist and the gay community wanted to buy Harleys. I almost was happy my last shovel was stolen. After 20 years i own a Harley again, a FLH '59, and i get that same reaction i had 25 years ago : only trash and criminals ( and fools) !!
Halleluia !!!!!! Guess what everybody is driving in 25 years !!!

Hans

Proud to own a vintage bike.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”