FLH engine internals: part of judging

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sausage

FLH engine internals: part of judging

Post by Sausage »

Hello:

I will someday restore a FLH Duo-Glide Panhead and was wondering if the FLH engine internals are part of judging just as the visible exterior is for period specific accuracy.
Of concern is if the Engine internals must be genuine or can they be aftermarket?
Does an owner provide a spread sheet of the internals?
Must the paint be Baked on Enamel based?

Listed below is a URL link of a awesome 1960 FLH. Thing of beauty.

Thank you again for the use of the boards.

Sausage
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Re: FLH engine internals

Post by Kurt »

If you're talking about AMCA judging, then the answer is no. The internals can be original or quality aftermarket and you do not need to supply a build sheet.

This also goes for anything else on the bike. It must be of the best available reproduction or replacement on the market. They will not, or I should say, "should not" deduct points from a reproduction part unless it is very "not correct" in appearance.

As far as the paint, this topic shows up on a lot of sites. There's a thread on the AMCA site that "if I remember correctly," says that you can now have a clear coat on the painted parts and in another thread it says that powder coating is also allowed on frames, forks, handlebars, etc.... I always though prior to circa 1970 that the only paint used was lacquer and nothing was clear coated.

Thoughts?

Kurt
Sausage

Re: FLH engine internals

Post by Sausage »

Kurt:

Thank you much. Do you know of a qualified Panhead restoration painter? If so, please email me with that info.

Respectfully. Sausage.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”