Life & Times of the Duo-Lift?

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Life & Times of the Duo-Lift?

Post by VintageTwin »

The Duo-Lift on the left is a 1970-80's original of 1-1/2" bent-tube construction. They used off-the-shelf components like 1-1/2" cut washers for the end caps. Two safety-clips secured the lift from collapsing and one clip secured the swaged handle together. They also made a three-piece ramp. Same 1-1/2" tube construction, w/ wire mesh. Both are now obsolete.
The Duo-Lift on the right is possibly a later version, and used to be stocked by Superior M/C Parts. The lift is the same width as the original, but this one is constructed of 1/8" X 1-1/4" box tube with 1/8" flat plates on the end. 3/4" (black) plumbing pipe make-up the cross members and handle extension. Larger size, thin-wall pipe is used for the slip-collars. This latest Duo-Lift? is obsolete. They may have originally been made in Colorado. It seems like the later version would be the easiest to make at home, so here's a gob of pix from every angle.
Attachments
Duo_6.jpg
Duo_6.jpg (45.56 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Duo_5.jpg
Duo_5.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Duo_8.jpg
Duo_8.jpg (68.27 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

The lift didn't come with saftey clips. I drilled the holes in stepped bit increments until I got to 1/4". Tried to match the same positions as the early Duo-Lift's. This later version uses a removable length of 3/4" pipe to stick in the box tube as a handle extension. I moved the handle inward before I drilled the safety clip hole, so the handle won't be tripped over. 8)
Attachments
Duo_7.jpg
Duo_7.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Duo_3.jpg
Duo_3.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Duo_2.jpg
Duo_2.jpg (30.07 KiB) Viewed 689 times

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”