Wheelie: how do they do it

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panomania
Inactive member

Wheelie: how do they do it

Post by panomania »

My ol panhead runs pretty good, but she ain't about to stand straight up unless ive got a jack under the front end.
how do they do it without exploding parts all over the road?
i can do a pretty good burnout from a roll. my bike tends to try and fishtail while the front tire bounces up and down on the pavement. although i haven't broken a belt yet, my clutches don't seem to last very long.

I know some folks here would frown on this type of irresponsible behavior, and i don't condone reckless driving, but id sure like to hear some of you guys stories.
haggis, i know you've got some.
ive got a buddie with a 68 police special that no longer has floorboards. highway pegs only. (mx off road action)

chow, pano
Jonderson
Inactive member

Re: Wheelie: how do they do it

Post by Jonderson »

No, your clutches won't last long driving like that, nor will your fork seals. I remember watching a guy I know come down off a wheelie and completely coat himself with fork oil. LMAO! This is one adjustment you will want to make ahead of time, and always make sure you come down soft! Big bikes are not really designed for this though, and the biggest difficulty in doing wheelies will come from left or right balance drift. Keep bouncing that front wheel until you get a feel for where the bike wants to go and how to compensate for it. Then just practice making those bounces longer.

As far as making judgments about reckless/irresponsible goes...that isn't really for me to make that sort of call. I figure as long as you aren't putting any one else in danger, have a good time on your bike however you see fit. I don't play that way on my Pan, but that is me. IMO that is what Triumphs are for. :)
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

the reason i ask was due to the cover of street choppers magazine. that guy is insane!
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Pano...
Ah! the wheelie!!... I fell off more bikes than I care to remember as a kid trying to get the wheelie down,
First one I ever got to do it right Was an Old AJS 350 single...quite a feeling of accomplishment!!
Today .....maybe My old Night hawk gets a little Blip now and then...but I'd Never try to get that 54 year old EL motor to do it.... I spent too much time and money getting her to where she is..... I figure in her old age she deserves some respect ;) Haggis

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”