Two-up on a Rigid

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Two-up on a Rigid

Post by Ripley/Fla »

Can you help me narrow down my bike purchase? I have not ridden in 25 years. My Pans were either chopper seats with pegs or solo pogo seats with floorboards. Is the bigger buddy seat with the fender helper spring a semi-comfortable ride for two people. My wife remembers "Sportster style" seats as OK, but we are not 20 something anymore. Neither are our backs! I am down south so the roads are generally ok. I am not a rich urban biker, this is a major purchase. Your feelings on a dressed-out rigid vs a duo-glide. Thanks for any input!
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Ripley

Those hardtail buddy seats were roomy and comfy too!, just look at how happy the passenger is in all the Harley magazine ads from the 40's and 50's.

Seriously, if you want your wife to get back on after the first ride you better stick with a swing-arm frame and a bigger seat with a backrest. There was a very good reason they named the rigid models "Sport Solo".

IMO

mike
59.jpg
59.jpg (24.31 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Last edited by FlatHeadSix on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

The guy in the lead in this '47 ad, (the one waving with the really big smile) is wearing the original shirt with "if you can read this, the bitch fell off" printed on the back.

honest!

mike
Last edited by FlatHeadSix on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Ripley,

I have ridden with my wife on mine and she says the ride is great. The driver however is way up on the skinny part where the padding runs out. Also, you get pushed way forward.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

It does get a little tight with two up on the buddy seat , but a more comfortable ride you will not find with other seats.
45brit
Inactive member

Post by 45brit »

what they said. The late cantilever seats are much better, people are very rude about how they look, but the buddy seats simply aren't long enough for two people for any length of time

Plus the spring frame is just a softer ride, that's what it was introduced for... it certainly wasn't to improve the handling!
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

this picture popped up tonight when I logged on. Believe it or not Ripley, this is what you want. Sorry, the devil made me say that....

And like Cotten said, they were also available in sparkly metalflake and attractive Hi-Fi two-tones if you like that cheezy 70's look.
normal_62rsx.jpg
normal_62rsx.jpg (47.49 KiB) Viewed 495 times
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Flatheadsix is right Ripley. Your wife will find the seat in that car pretty comfortable. You would see it more clearly if someone hadn't parked a damn motorcycle in the way. :lol:
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

That big buddy seat is the reason my wife wouldn't ride on the pan. Plus, with her big arse on there, it felt like I was diving over the bars. the passenger pegs mounted on the rear bolt of the footboards had her reaching forward, pushing me over the tank more. I put the solo back on and ride two up on the new FLHRP (twinkie) Things have changed as far as arse fitment in the last 35 or so years!
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Fourthgear

Great photo, nothing describes it better than a picture. I hope you don't mind if I linked it to this thread.
Photo014.jpg
Photo014.jpg (55.5 KiB) Viewed 493 times
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Don't mind at all , I planed on posting it . The seat is a 65,with the late mod. spring set up (65 & up , I think), I put longer springs on to try to keep the seat skirt off the fender until some of our more seasoned members enlightened me on putting a old valve spring on the pogo to help keep it off. I plan on putting the 58 type on to make it look some what right , just not sure how and if they will work better than the system on there now.
The wife has plenty of room and its like floating over bad bumps.The photo is from a camera phone and it is kinda fish eyed. I have the correct luggage rack on there now , use it alot.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”