Obtaining a title on a home built replica bike in Florida

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
EasyDuz'er

Obtaining a title on a home built replica bike in Florida

Post by EasyDuz'er »

Does anyone have any experience trying to obtain a title on a home built replica bike or any other bike for that matter in Florida. There is a custom chopper manufacturer in my home town so I assume it is possible but I have no experience in the matter.

Take it,

EZ
EasyDuz'er

Post by EasyDuz'er »

I obtained a copy of the Florida title application form. The form appears to offer several choices for obtaining a title for a home built bike. The form has a choice for "replica" and for "assembled from parts". Either one would apply. The form also asks you to put a V.I.N. or serial number for the vehicle on the form. Does the V-Twin Wishbone Frame of the Panhead Replica Motor come with a serial number stamped on them? If not, what do I do stamp my own serial number on the frame or case? What have others done for a VIN or serial number. Any ideas? I know I could obtain a title for an older motor but that is not what I am doing, I am going all new replica.

Take it,

EZ :?:
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

I don't know where the vin # is on the replicas motor. On the STD cases the numbers are stamped below the relay boss, well actually, where the relay boss should be, but isn't, on the early STD Panhead cases. Like 10 digits maybe. The Replica cases from V-Twin have a blank number boss like the OE number boss, but probably the real vin # is on the right-side case. You should ask your state if you can stamp bogus I.D numbers for fake in that blank area since the right case has the real numbers. There'll no problem registering your machine as long as you bring your stack of receipts to the inspection people.
Did you ever check to see if V-Twin has any replica motors in stock? How about the replica spigot-exhaust Pan heads? Any scoop on those? I'm working my sacks off on this next book. Dripless Knuckle and Pan. We've got the belt-thing worked out too, through Andrews?, if so fact so. My fingers are bleedin'. :lol:
EasyDuz'er

Post by EasyDuz'er »

VT

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I will be able to find a number on the case somewhere to use for a VIN. I do not think that our department of motor vehicles inspects vehicles. They discontinued inspecting vehicles about 20 years ago to save money.

I have not called about motor availability. I want to get my dealer status set first. I am going to form a corporation for the dealership. I don't have a detached garage but I am planning on building a separate garage in the near future. I might find something cheap small warehouse to rent in the meantime in my area.

I have been going through the catalog in great detail to try to determine the right parts. Man, it can be confusing. Many times the catalog will call a part a 49-57 or 49-64 part. However it appears that you can't really trust the year designation to determine if the part is really year correct. I think what the year means is that the part will fit the years designated but not that it necessarily will look like or have all the same features as the OEM part. I am trying to determine from the pictures and by cross checking photos of original manufacturer bikes to make sure the parts actually look like the original. Am I going about this process correctly. Any other advise? I want to be prepared to order the right parts to avoid the restocking fees and extra shipping as I don't have unlimited funds sitting around to do this thing with.

Take it,

EZ
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Your DMV doesn't inspect....that's nice. VIN papers ship with the motor. No worries.
Yeah, do the warehouse thing. Put the street numbers above the door. It's your temporary address until your shop gets built.
The designation of say, '49-57 and '49-64 means what you suggest; that '49-57 would be the correct part, but if you didn't care, this other part that's listed '49-64 isn't corect for your particular year, but the part will fit anyway. Go with those designated years parts as your first ('49-57) choice.
If your building a replica, say, '49 Pan, you'll need the '49-57 (red) Spare Parts book. Get one today. You can use it to cross reference OEM part numbers in the V-Twin catalog. I like having the (red/white) '58-68 Spare Parts book too, since I can see when a part was continued on past '57. You need the service manuals for those years too, although the '48-57 service manual contains some out-dated mechanical corrections, you can cross-reference between the '48-57 and '59-69 service manual to see what maintenance procedures were carried on through the years. The V-Twin motors ship with hydraulic tappets, our book has an updated method for hydraulic to solid conversion, but hydraulic is okay too.
Since you're the first person to come forward with building plans, you can email me your parts list and I can make changes to it if you got off-course. Then we can post your parts order list here and everybody will have a leg up on the parts order thing. Or, you can order a replica kit, and they will have thought-out everything for you. Your part number for a 1949 replica Panhead, rolling chassis, is (Handshift Resto 55-2541) or (Footshift Resto 55-2534). There are two choices for each model...."Chrome" or "Resto". We figure Resto has less chrome and more black, and we're not too big on chrome here at Vintage Twin.
Make your list out in this manner:
1. The V-Twin part number, next to that, the quantity, then next to that, the page number from the '04 catalog, next to that, a description of the part, then next to that the "retail price" if you have it. Leave an open line that I can write in under each line item.
That should do it.
Fla Biker

No Inspections ?

Post by Fla Biker »

E-D, You better check with the DMV, cause the only way Florida is handing you a Title for a replica, is after having it Inspected & Every reciept will be necessary.
Call the Fla. DMV & ask. I know the proceedure. No we don't have regular
Inspections, but for "Special Construction" You bet your ASS there is an Inspection& a thorough one. By the Police Inspectors...

Just call & check to save yourself any headaches..

Post by Guest »

Fla Biker

Ok. Great so they want an inspection for Special Buit. I am not worried about receipts because I do not plan on building the bike out of stolen parts, I intend to pay for every part I use. When they inspect do they give you any trouble for items like, tail lights not being current DOT approved or lack of turn signals? As you are aware, the 1950's bikes would not meet current DOT specifications. Do they give you a pass on those items which are period correct but would not meet current standards?

EZ
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

EZ- Here they have you go down to the Hwy. Patrol for an inspection. You take your receipts to the DMV, but the inspection is done down at the station. They want turn signals. 6V lighting is OK. They rivet a blue tag to the top of the frame tube. Call your DMV, and find out who and where the inspections take place. Call 'em. Call the hall. Ask some questions. Be out front. Your're a BUILDER. :!:

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”