Just about complete: Modified 1958 Pan Bobber! PICS!!!

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
1950bobber

Just about complete: Modified 1958 Pan Bobber! PICS!!!

Post by 1950bobber »

Hey guys...

Put my 1958 modified Panhead Bobber in the GALLERY (pending Panheads approval!).....

My Brother and best friend Mike Gomes died in his bed after being diagnosed only 7 months earlier with colon cancer. He told me he was sick while we were enjoying (I thought!) a 3000 mile ride thru the Shenendoah Valley and subsequent run up to New England and back to Tenn. ....I was at his bedside when he met his maker on February 19th, 2007 @6:45 in the morning.

Anticipating his death, we conspired to buy a beaten but not destroyed 1958 Panhead to commemorate our 30+ year friendship....I finished her this week after almost a total teardown. I will ride this Bobber until I'm called home with him. See the Gallery for the pics.

In honor of my best friend and Brother...Ride hard Mike until I meet up with you again!

Love 'ya Bro...ALWAYS!

Your Brother in Arms.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber" 8)

http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermine/d ... ?pos=-1422
http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermine/d ... ?pos=-1421
http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermine/d ... ?pos=-1420
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

Sorry to hear about your brother.

Nice looking bobber. I've always been kind of partial to the bobber style - clean and simple. I like the nice wide bars and the fact that you used the stock tanks instead of a sportster tank. To each his own, but I just never cared for the look of the peanut tank on the bobbers.

Enjoy the ride...

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the words, Dave. Bobbers are all I ride

Many unique styles of bikes today are called "Bobber's" ....very few actually are accurate....some say the descriptive term Bobber is "Gay"...mostly said by homophobes on the Jockey Journal.....but that's another story!

Simple yet functional.....this is how I remember them growing up and I've been piloting my own for 41 years...been looking at 'em for more than 50!!!!!

Thanks again....

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

:wink:
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Modified '58 Pan Bobber

Post by captainharley »

Great scoot and sorry to hear about your bro. You are going to find some "Pan" heads for it arn't ya'? Many years ago I talked about putting shovels on my '65 Pan and my buddies just about beat the crap out'a me.
Needless to say I didn't do it. I've always wanted to get me another set
of outside oiler heads. But, Man, they are just to expensive for this 'ol boy living on a retirment pension. AMF :wink: Ride Safe
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

Hey thanks Captainharley....both for the kind sentiments on my Brother and the Tribute Bobber.

Yup...I bought a complete set of outside oiler, replica '65 STD Pan heads.

Since this is going to be my "ride", somthing I now really cherish in the name of my Brother Mike...I splurged on the STD Pan heads.

I'll be malking the "swap" right after my Memorial trek 'cross country next May. I agree...Shovel tops are a good mechanical upgrade but not a very aesthetically pleasing one! 8)

I also have a Morris magneto G5 still in the box that will go on before the ride....somthing to keep me from relying on a battery.....I'll mount a 12 volt closed-cell in her for lights and my siren but the G5 will keep her running dependably.

Thanks again for taking the time to acknowledge Mike Gomes here....We will all pass in our apponited time....taking the effort to acknowledge one of our own is the most respectable acts we can bestow upon one another. :wink:

Rerspectfully.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

RE: Bobber

Post by 59Panman »

Jim,

My respects to your brother, family and yourself.

Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra money on a Yuasa YTZ14S battery and stand it on end. You will not regret it. I have not have any problems with this battery. I purchased this battery after going through 5 batteries of different makes; Thanks to Cycle Electric for recommendation and experience. By the way, I work for Cingular Wireless and just returned from a business/training class in Redmond at the end of July where I stayed at the Marriott Towne Center. I was going to send you a message to try and hook up with you, but didn't have time due to my class schedule. I have a 59 FLH Pan.

ozwick
1950bobber

Modified Bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

Hey Mark....

Good hearing from you again! sorry we could not hook up and thanks on the battery tip!

If you get back to the Washington area, give me a call. Also, would like to see pics of your '59. Got any handy?

jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”