Re: 1951 Pan short block

Post by blewcrab »

got the chassis ready ?....lets see some pics
Mose
Bikes: 1951 Panhead

Post by Mose »

blewcrab wrote:got the chassis ready ?....lets see some pics
If ya look at the second photo you'll see the wishbone frame in the back ground. After the Motor is complete I'll be concentrating on a trike chassis. This site has a number of pics of the frame :)
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

Looks good....I can see your not concerned with correctness.
Mose

Post by Mose »

cdndewey wrote:Looks good....I can see your not concerned with correctness.
Correctness? Be specific :roll:
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Mose wrote:
cdndewey wrote:Looks good....I can see your not concerned with correctness.
Correctness? Be specific :roll:
I think he's referring to your paint scheme. The stock mill finish aluminum and silver is kind of boring to many builders. If your not into correct restoration do what you like, it's your bike.
Mose

Post by Mose »

With a frame that has been bastardized and an engine that's been welded back together, unless you are loaded with cash ya rebuild it as a Chopper. :D
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

MOSE---That Bike is LOOOOKING GOOD!!!---Love that wrinkle-type look! Always did!---I can see why some of the All correct this must be this way purists have a gripe, BUT These Purists Have some GREAT MACHINES!--& I very much respect thir work & EFFORT!-(it takes ALOT of$$ & yrs. for a 100 point bike!)--Mine is nowhere near a stock 58flh/ the motor is (both halfs match)--The frame is a 1949 wishbone rigid,Im running true star-hub rims & a 58 hydra front-end! & Im proud to have that BIKE!--ITS my main source of transportation!-So I built it to take the abuse that is given to it on a daily basis!--One day I would love to get a 58-swingframe/I have the bars already!--but$$$$ is the culprit!-at the moment!--Anyway YOURS looks nice & cant wait to see it going down the road!--RICHIE 8)
Mose

Post by Mose »

The last time I built one from the frame up:
http://www.sacredsocietymc.us/68Pan_Shovel_Build.htm

Some folks call 'em genny shovels Back in the day everybody I knew called 'em Pan/Shovels.
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

When I was putting my mill back together many years ago, I went to the hardware store to get a can of high heat spray paint for the heads. Not to many restorations going on back then, what is a very desirable bike today, was the "garbage wagon" that that fat asshole down the street was not ashamed to be riding, we felt bad for his wife, she was really good looking for an old broad. I had already used the oven to apply black guncoat on the jugs. (great product, they still look black) I had the heads back from the shop and couldn't wait to get em on. The only thing they had was a shade of brown barbecue grill paint....ugggggly. I'm sorry now and it's still ugly but the application still looks damn good and I'm not about to tear it down just to make em silver. Make sure whatever you do, you really like it. You may live with it for a long time.
Mose

Post by Mose »

I put a heavy coat of black high temp cylinder paint on the jugs first, then wrinkled them. The wrinkle black does harden after ya reach operating temperature. And wrinkle is easy to touch up. Once I get her completely asdsembled I'll go over all the wrinkle again to cover exposed metal on the block.
At 59 I hope I get to "live with it a very long time" :P
I am quite sure that when I'm long gone it'll still be running.
Mose

Post by Mose »

And I've got the book for doing these restorations so I don't have to hunt down HD tpi's that just aren't available at Ace hardware or Daytona Nut & Bolt :mrgreen:

kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

In August, 1965 the new model big twin was introduced with the existing name "Electraglide").
The slang term showed up quickly to distinguish it from the older "dishpan" engine: "shovelhead".
Until 1970 there was no other type, and the term "pan/shovel" is only about 20 years old. We ancients refer to the 1966-69 generator engines as "shovelheads", and 1970-* as "cone motors".

BTW: "short block" is exclusively an automotive term, originating (IIRC) with General Motors to identify a specific product (not a stage of assembly): an engine block with crankshaft and related parts but no heads and no accessories. H-D never made or sold an item like this. The automotive "long block" is the above, plus cylinder heads - but still no manifolds, water pump, ignition, etc.
Mose

Post by Mose »

kitabel wrote:In August, 1965 the new model big twin was introduced with the existing name "Electraglide").
The slang term showed up quickly to distinguish it from the older "dishpan" engine: "shovelhead".
Until 1970 there was no other type, and the term "pan/shovel" is only about 20 years old. We ancients refer to the 1966-69 generator engines as "shovelheads", and 1970-* as "cone motors".

I didn't realize this was gonna be a pissing contest but you sir are mistaken. I built that 'Pan Shovel' over 30 years ago and that's what we called it back then. And I've rebuilt 13 different HD's from Pans to EVO's and one 45 two wheeler.
But me hey, I gave 'em all names like Mulebreath, Ruby, Frankenstein etc.

And you wanna tell me what I can or can not call a short block? :roll:

BTW: "short block" is exclusively an automotive term, originating (IIRC) with General Motors to identify a specific product (not a stage of assembly): an engine block with crankshaft and related parts but no heads and no accessories. H-D never made or sold an item like this. The automotive "long block" is the above, plus cylinder heads - but still no manifolds, water pump, ignition, etc.
Mose

Post by Mose »

Seems like yesterday... time flies when you're having fun.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”