Harley restoration forum?

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
mogman
Inactive member

Harley restoration forum?

Post by mogman »

I was curios: Is there a forum dedicated to the extreme obsession over minor details of restoring a Harley?
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Detail

Post by DuoDave »

Sure there is. This one! Just ask, somebody will know the answer.
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

Ok you asked for it, I will start with the first hardware installed, the crankcase studs and nuts.
In Bruce P’s book in appendix C at the first section it talks about non year specific items under Parkerizing it says “ all crankcase studs and nuts” under the year specific items under Cad it says “ all crankcase bolts” there is only one bolt, two if you count the one used for the vent. I have looked at some pictures and I would think that those black studs and nuts would stand out but they don’t All references are to a 1958 Duo-Glide.
SO which is it cad or park. Also I can not find any reference to the cylinder studs I think they should be cad, I should be able to tell when I remove them from the cases.
I have decided that because I have to pull my fried motor and need to remove the transmission and go through it as it is leaking allot of oil around the shaft seals I am going to pull it all the way down, re-paint the frame and do a complete restoration......
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The barrel studs are parkerized. If the studs are not loose, there is no reason to remove them from the case. Protect them with tape if you are going to have the cases blasted.
VPH-D

Post by Guest »

I will need to remove them as the cases were blasted before I received them.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Take a close look at Palmer's book where it shows the 58 models. You can see the crankcase nuts are cad, as are the barrel nuts. The kick cover nuts are parkerized. My buddie's 56 has all park hardware, so maybe they changed finishes in 57 or 58.

The Antique Motorcycle Club of America has a website, antiquemotorcycle.org that answers a lot of 'what is stock' kind of questions.
VPH-D
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

mogman

i don't know if this helps but the best place to look is at unrestored original machines.

the best place to do something like that is davenport iowa during the show/swapmeet.

my particular intrest is in 1955 fl's. i have taken hundreds of digital photo's of original machines over the last 5 years. one thing i can say is that hardware varies on each machine. not all is parkerized or all is cad. the tranny can have one and the engine another.

the next best resource is palmer's book, it is as accurate as possible with a few exceptions.

i suggest going out and trying to find as many originals as possible and take tons of pictures.

it takes time but is worth the effort when you are on the way to the shop with a handful of newly gotten hardware!

good luck!

john
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

The problem with Bruce's book is it only shows a proto type 58, in the text he does not make any exceptions as to years like he does with some other items.
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

58 duo

Post by Pantony »

My friends Dealership has an unrestored good condition 59 on the floor, if you want I can go look and see what that bike has

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”