Short ride on my Pan, last for the year.

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
chuck 56 pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH, 1969 FL, 2014 RoadKing

Short ride on my Pan, last for the year.

Post by chuck 56 pan »

1st time on the interstate today, 15 miles to work and ran fine, :D on the way home it started a good knock. :( oil light is on at anything below 1/4 throttle and breather is putting smoke in the primary. I hope I can rebuild this one, I really want to keep the cases and all I can to keep the bike original. The bore is already at .070 Wish me luck, will keep you posted as I start start the process.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Short ride on my Pan, last for the year.

Post by caschnd1 »

These old motors can take a beating and still be brought back. I've got a set of 0.080+ Wiseco pistons ready to go into my motor. Getting a crack in the cases welded up. I'll completely rebuild the bottom end while I'm in there, new bearings, bushings, cam, etc. I've put 100k miles on that motor, so its time.

-Craig
bigbox
Bikes: Panhead 1959. Dirt bikes, current 2013 Switchback 73 Norton and 79 Triumph

Post by bigbox »

caschnd1 wrote:These old motors can take a beating and still be brought back. I've got a set of 0.080+ Wiseco pistons ready to go into my motor. Getting a crack in the cases welded up. I'll completely rebuild the bottom end while I'm in there, new bearings, bushings, cam, etc. I've put 100k miles on that motor, so its time.

-Craig

A 100K man thats not too bad
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Good luck with it Chuck 56,
As Craig said there is not much short of a total fragmentation that will prevent you being able to rebuild and keep most of your parts original to the bike.
Keep us posted as it gets to teardown stage and feel free to ask any questions you think of!!
Robbie
chuck 56 pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH, 1969 FL, 2014 RoadKing

Post by chuck 56 pan »

update, rear cylinder has no oil in the top end, the top of the intake pushrod is worn down like a mushroom , the exh is dry but not worn like the intake. pulled the rear lifter block out and everything in the bottom end looks good and wet with oil. After I pressure test the intake I will pull the head and see if the cylinder is scored.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”