AMCA inspection

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
restless
Bikes: 1960 FL pan

AMCA inspection

Post by restless »

Hi can some one please tell me where I can see the list for the 100 point inspection.
Thanks Bill
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: inspection

Post by RUBONE »

Hi can some one please tell me where I can see the list for the 100 point inspection.
That is quite humorous Bill! :D
The "list" as you call it is merely the most absolute and correct assembly as shipped from the factory. Period. There is a judging handbook for the AMCA with guidelines as far as maximum number of points to remove for discrepancies, but the inspection is up to the combined knowledge of the judging team based on all currently available information as a baseline.
So the "list" is the combined expertise of the team looking at your attempt to be as close to factory spec as possible.
Good lock!
Robbie
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

You can google the list,its called the Anal list. :D
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1958 FL,1958 FLH, 1964 FL

Post by Northman »

Not to be confused with the "whos the boss organ list" ?? :lol:
he he
restless

Post by restless »

I hear you kids, new guys at work, and green panhead guys like my self can be the most humorous
Thanks Bill
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Bill,
nobody is jerking your chain because you're the new guy. If you are going to have your bike judged at an AMCA (Antique Motorcycle Club of America) National Meet the "100 Point" standard is the same for all antique motorcycles, not just Panheads. There is only one judging sheet used for all and any bikes that are judged, and as Robbie said, the 100 point standard is the way the bike looked when it left the factory. You are at the mercy of the team that is judging your bike to know what that actually should be.

for what its worth here is a link to the AMCA site that tells you a little bit about the judging process:
http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/index. ... dging-info

mike
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

FlatHeadSix wrote:You are at the mercy of the team that is judging your bike to know what that actually should be.
I saw that, and the above statement by Mike is one of the reasons that I will never have a bike judged, and one of the reasons that I left the AMCA ...

I mean jeeze, discussing a bolt that had a wrench mark on it for 20 min?? to me that is just anal retentive.

Just my personal feelings about it, not everyone will have the same experience.

George
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I hear ya George!---To me they were made to be rode!,& I ride the piss out of mine everyday 8) . I cant even fathom the thought of a clean exhaust on the inside of the pipe!--As a judge--I would have more respect for the guy who rode it 500 miles to get there!--Just the way I see it.---Richie :!:
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Bill, I didn't check the AMCA site much for a judging form but I've emailed you a scan of one from my copy of Steve Slocombe’s V-series book to give you some idea of what was involved a few years ago. But please check with the club to see if it is up-to-date. Even if it’s out-of-date it would be interesting to see what changes had occurred to the form in the intervening years.
Eric
restless

Post by restless »

I think I should have put a period after I hear you .Every thing was understood completely.
Thanks Bill
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Bill,

If your thinking of having a bike judged at an AMCA meet read Palmers book "How to restore your Harley Davidson from cover to cover two times.
Then goto an AMCA meet and look at the bikes being judged.
My opinion is you have to choose between a rider and an AMCA bike.
A few guys have tried to do both with the same bike, not easy but it has been done.
As mentioned above it will be judged to exactly the way it left the factory.
Jerry
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

I cant even fathom the thought of a clean exhaust on the inside of the pipe!
Where do you guys come up with this crap! That isn't part of any judging scenario. I have been on judging teams over the years. I would do it again. I do not have anything of mine judged because I believe in building what I want and could care less if it is correct. I also spend a huge amount of time figuring out what IS correct. I do it for me and I share it with others. Maybe I shouldn't bother!
I am proud to be an AMCA member. Do I like everything they do? NO, but I don't like everything anyone does. And they are by far the best organization of its type in the USA, warts and all!
Robbie
pan620
Bikes: 62 Duoglide, 48 Pan, 1990 FLHTCU

Post by pan620 »

RUBONE wrote:
I cant even fathom the thought of a clean exhaust on the inside of the pipe!
Where do you guys come up with this crap! That isn't part of any judging scenario. I have been on judging teams over the years. I would do it again. I do not have anything of mine judged because I believe in building what I want and could care less if it is correct. I also spend a huge amount of time figuring out what IS correct. I do it for me and I share it with others. Maybe I shouldn't bother!
I am proud to be an AMCA member. Do I like everything they do? NO, but I don't like everything anyone does. And they are by far the best organization of its type in the USA, warts and all!
Robbie
Robbie, please keep "bothering", I for one really look forward to your wisdom, Thank you very much for sharing with us!
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I have seen in the past 3,bikes up for a 1st place trophy--The deciding factor was -A CLEAN EXHAUST--ALL other aspects of said Bike were neck&neck!--I Personaly build what I like TO!--IF it was crap then ,I dont want it on there now!--(Robbie I look forward to your WISDOM on these BIKES!!)--I have Learned much from you & COTTON & a few others here!--YOU should be proud to be a JUDGE!----RICHIE----I just couldnt believe the clean exhaust bike was the deciding factor THAT PARTICULAR DAY! :shock: ----WITH RESPECT---RICHIE 8)
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

I have seen in the past 3,bikes up for a 1st place trophy--The deciding factor was -A CLEAN EXHAUST--ALL other aspects of said Bike were neck&neck!-
From the original question my response is purely from an AMCA standpoint, 100 point system. That was ,I believe, what the question was about.
When discussing shows for trophies and the like, it is all merely the judges opinion having nothing to do with a set of standards. Bragging rights and cheap trophies are the order of the day!
Robbie

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”