OP '59

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Re: OP '59

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm Take a look at his other parts for sale. He has an entire 1959 FL broken down and parting out. Perhaps thee is something one of us could use....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/machivmotors/m ... 7675.l2562

....RooDog....
The OEM solo seat for $162 looks decent. I guess that's where the bidding starts.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

I can’t see anything wrong with any of the SN characters. The 5 and 9 appear normal factory types for the year portion of a 59 Pan SN at that stage of numbering.

Pans for 59 used at least two 5s and at least two 9s in the year portion. Early-59 year portion seems to have something unusual (defective?) about its 5 but I’m not sure what happened to it. Normally it’s accompanied by a straight-back 9 and this combination continued into the 2000 block of numbers. But not far into that 2000 block there was a change to a different 5 and a round-back 9 and these two characters normally look like they were applied with a tandem stamp. The second combo then seems to continue thru the end of the 59 model year. In the sequence portion, regardless of how low or high the SN is, the 9 has a straight back and on some occasions the unusual (defective?) 5 is visible while at other times it is hard to notice. Here’s an early-59.

59 FLH 1.jpg
59 FLH 1.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 200 times

Straight-back 9 in both portions.

59 FLH ++9+.jpg
59 FLH ++9+.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 200 times

Early 5 and straight-back 9 for the 2000 block.

59 FLH 2+++.jpg
59 FLH 2+++.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 200 times

But also for the 2000 block a different 5 and a round-back 9 emerged in the year portion. And they appear to have been done with a tandem stamp.

59 FL 2+++.jpg
59 FL 2+++.jpg (36.41 KiB) Viewed 200 times

Next is another example of the second combo and again they appear to have been done with a tandem stamp. Also notice the sequence 5 appears to be the unusual (defective?) type.

59 FLH 5.jpg
59 FLH 5.jpg (46.55 KiB) Viewed 200 times

Round-back 9 in the year and straight-back 9 in the sequence portion.
Eric

59 FL +9++.jpg
59 FL +9++.jpg (41.83 KiB) Viewed 200 times
gitguy
Bikes: 1948 EL
1965 FLH
1966 FLH

1980 FLT Semi-Custom

Post by gitguy »

RooDog wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:32 pm
pan620 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:50 pm What clues are there it is "OP" other than what the seller says?

Looking at many of the things Mach IV has sold over the years, they are not as knowledgeable as they should be on old Harley parts. Or maybe it's just the hired help who don't know Vintage Parts....
In any case, if it don't sell, those jackals will tear it down, and part it out a piece at a time.....
BTW: They have blocked me. I wonder why. LOL.....
....RooDog....

He blocked me also, can't even ask a question. He had two brake drums for sale but the shipping costs were different. I discovered this after I was the winning bidder so I asked why the difference? He responded with some BS answer about how he can't keep track of everything they do. . . and wouldn't charge me the same shipping cost.

For fun, take a look at his negative feedback. There is none! 100% positive feedback. He has over 67000 transactions and no negative feedback? Then look at the number of negative feedback responses that has had "revised". I left negative feedback (something I rarely do) and he had it revised so as to never appear in his rating total. Then I was was blocked. That's how he handles disgruntled customers. Cool guy- right?

I understand they are "Nice Wisconsin folks who are raising a family on the proceeds from their business" but mobsters and other shady characters also have families. There are many ways to run a business and just because you are trying to feed your family doesn't give you license to be an a**hole.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

gitguy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm
RooDog wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:32 pm
pan620 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:50 pm What clues are there it is "OP" other than what the seller says?

Looking at many of the things Mach IV has sold over the years, they are not as knowledgeable as they should be on old Harley parts. Or maybe it's just the hired help who don't know Vintage Parts....
In any case, if it don't sell, those jackals will tear it down, and part it out a piece at a time.....
BTW: They have blocked me. I wonder why. LOL.....
....RooDog....

He blocked me also, can't even ask a question. He had two brake drums for sale but the shipping costs were different. I discovered this after I was the winning bidder so I asked why the difference? He responded with some BS answer about how he can't keep track of everything they do. . . and wouldn't charge me the same shipping cost.

For fun, take a look at his negative feedback. There is none! 100% positive feedback. He has over 67000 transactions and no negative feedback? Then look at the number of negative feedback responses that has had "revised". I left negative feedback (something I rarely do) and he had it revised so as to never appear in his rating total. Then I was was blocked. That's how he handles disgruntled customers. Cool guy- right?

I understand they are "Nice Wisconsin folks who are raising a family on the proceeds from their business" but mobsters and other shady characters also have families. There are many ways to run a business and just because you are trying to feed your family doesn't give you license to be an a**hole.
I wonder what's with the 128 revised feedbacks....
....RooDog....

Return to “Panhead”