Panhead crankcase (right) with cracks

Good photos, need opinions but more importantly experiences

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
Sarre
Bikes: 1950 HD FL customized
1971 Honda CB750 K0 chopped
2003 Buell XB12s tuned

Panhead crankcase (right) with cracks

Post by Sarre »

Crack originates from the crankshaft hole and circles around the camshaft hole and one crack originates from the camshaft hole.
I am thinking about a repair, of course the engine shop tells me they can't make any promises and it will warp and everything has to be realigned.
I'm not too worried about the realigning, it needs to be done, just want to hear you guys about the repair and wether it will work (in the longer run), any opinions or experiences with these cracks?

Here are the photo's:

Also, if anyone has good experience with a repair like this done by a shop in western Europe, let me know!

Thanks, cheers.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Panhead crankcase (right) with cracks

Post by RUBONE »

Two things commonly are issues with a repair like that. The first is getting it clean enough! Usually boiling the case for a long time helps draw all the oil out of the pores and cracks. Also, the casting tend to crack even more as they are welded sending spiderwebs all over. Hopefully you can find a competent welder to do the repair that understands old sand castings.
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

Post war castings usually weld nicely, so getting sound welds shouldn't be a problem. However, everything else will be. It may be easier to find a replacement case half and mate it to the left.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

My crack wasn't nearly as bad as yours, mine cracked between the cam and the pinion. I sent it to Phil at Knuckleworks in California. He did an excellent job and reasonably priced. I'm sorry that I can't tell you how it runs, it is my project and I'm not quite ready to fire her up.
VCA Hank
Bikes: 1949 WR

Post by VCA Hank »

I used to do quite a bit of repair work on various aluminum engine parts for a friend of mine. One time he picked up a 45 left side engine case with one crack didn't look too bad. I used to bake the parts in an industrial oven over night to get the oil out of them and this also preheated them to lessen the thermal shock of welding. I had barely touched the TIG electrode to the part when I hear the crackling sound of it spiderwebbing. That was the only one I ever had that happen on when doing a repair. The bottom line is things crack because of some abnormal stress being applied to it. Good luck in getting it repaired.
Sarre
Bikes: 1950 HD FL customized
1971 Honda CB750 K0 chopped
2003 Buell XB12s tuned

Post by Sarre »

Thanks all, experiences and opinions go both ways, both here and from the folks I spoke to about this repair in the flesh. This makes the risk clear of undertaking this endeavor, which in the end is only a financial risk that can be calculated in. @Larry I can always get a replacement part if the welding doesn't work out so that is a back-up plan. Also about the process, good info to check with the shop I'll take it to, about that; so far I haven't found a shop nearby so still looking for one, if it takes to long I'll consider your suggestion @nmaineron.

Return to “Panhead”