Transmisión oil leak

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
saddlebagrail
Bikes: FLH 67
FX77
FL 66
FLHTC98

Re: Transmisión oil leak

Post by saddlebagrail »

saddlebagrail wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:45 pm Sorry guys I haven't been here in years ,I just got a notification ,if anyone need to contact me here is my email cheaper buying direct than from my eBay due to fees...and yes this is the solution to a leaking 4 speed,unless the main drive gear bushing is worn out and even if you change the small seal at the end of main drive gear it will still leak after a short while,Ray

saddlebagrail@yahoo.ca
one thing I forgot to mention,if you feel a movement up and down and also sideways when grabbing the end of your main shaft ,it means your bushing in drive gear is worn out to behind the point of no return,the main shaft might also be worn ,but sometimes not enough to change the main shaft itself but just the bushing in the main drive gear.

If you are in need of updating that area of the tranny(drive gear bushing ,main shaft ,small seal and the spacer behind the sprocket ,....I can help you, ,on all my rebuild I install a new custom made bronze bushing(not one that you buy from any supplier) fit to either a new or your old main shaft(if salvageable),and then machine the shoulder of the small seal deeper to accept 2 small seals at the end of drive gear,with my spacer with o-ring ,there will be NO MORE leak from that area for very long time,Ray

total for the update is 175$ US plus shipping both ways,I am in NB Canada if anyone is interested
doc9339
Bikes: 60FL

Re: Transmisión oil leak

Post by doc9339 »

Remeber, There was a day when these trannies didnt leak. When they were new. Over the past 45 plus years, shoddy work, not replacing parts, etc, causes these trannies to leak. Adding gimmick gaskets, o rings, or "special oil" just reduces (if you are lucky) oil seepage. You can get things oil tight if you do it right

Return to “Panhead”