Blowing fuse.

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Blowing fuse.

Post by George Greer »

I am just now getting around to getting the bike ready to ride,

Recharged the battery and it is over 12.5 volt

Checked out the lights, hi and low beam okay.

Checked turn signals and the horn and brake lights, everything checked out fine.

Problem is, as soon as I kick it through it blows the 20 amp circuit breaker.

Sitting still and ready to kick, everything works, One kick, and the fuse blows.

I am at a loss to where to start the troubleshooting.

Any suggestions?

George

PS, now the generator light won’t come on.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Blowing fuse.

Post by john HD »

George,

You would have to think it is in the ignition circuit, start there...

john
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

John,

I will do it, starting at the circuit breaker and points, and condenser.

I did go and pulled the dash cover off checking for shorts and broken connectors..none

I polarized the generator and I pulled off the regulator cover looking for sticking or welded together contacts,

All so far is checking out ok.

And since I polarized the generator, the light is now working again.

George
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Where in the circuit is the circuit breaker located?

Is the wiring otherwise stock?
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Fellas,

I have just sorted out the problem and with it, I think some issues while running as well.

I had a aftermarket kmh speedometer that had a built in tachometer, but The tachometer needle was always erratic and was annoying.

After going over the wiring and polarizing the generator,

I got the bright idea to disconnect the wiring to the tachometer.

She started up on second kick.

Generator light goes off and at a idle it doesn’t even flicker.

Apparently, the internal working of the tachometer quit, and as soon as It got a impulse from the coil, it dead shorted.

I am so glad I upgraded the fuses to resettable circuit breakers.

Now that she’s running again, I am wanting to go ride and see if some of running issues are solved as well

George
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

There is a moral to the story.

Quit working with aftermarket parts….. they suck.

Period!

I am now on the opinion, I had rather spend time and money restoring old original parts, than buy a single aftermarket part.

Kind a like the old saying “if it’s got tits or tires”, sooner than later it will give you grief.

I am done with aftermarket crap.

George
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

I have spent most of my adventure with Harley Davidson, since 1967, swapping, and intermixing OEM Harley parts to build the motorcycles I want. I did work in a custom chopper shop before getting a gig as a wench at the local H-D Dealership, it was there that I developed an appreciation for "factory Davidson" parts. Prior to that, both at home, and at The Chop Stop, I read and believed in the crap from the chopper magazines, but began to learn about how iffy the AM parts actually were. Yes, there were some brands that were pretty constantly worth while, $&$, Andrews, Colony, but many of the others I learned to shun. So the bottom line is simply an old original H-D piece is usually a better and safer bet than many AM items.
I have satisfactorily used a lot of V-Tedd's parts, but as always: "You pays yer money, yous takes yer chances."
....RooDog....
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Hey Roodog,

How much did you make an hour at that position?

I have spent most of my adventure with Harley Davidson, since 1967, swapping, and intermixing OEM Harley parts to build the motorcycles I want. I did work in a custom chopper shop before getting a gig as a wench at the local H-D Dealership
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Mark....
I don't remember the dollar figure wage at the Dealership back in 1977, other than it was Minimum + commission. We had no flat rate manual to go by, and warranty work, for that boss and at that time, really sucked. I was a self educated tech, and the two years I spent were a continuation of that education. The money wasn't great, but the side benefits were: Education, parts, and meeting great people, and idiots. Also becoming very familiar with Iron Head Sportsters. I also met and moved in with my future wife, and we'er are still together, that was a good thing. But I got out of that customer paid biz, and moved on the the better paying auto body repair hustle, since the insurance companies were paying the bill, the pay days were more satisfying, and I did that til retirement.
Sorry, but I didn't answer your question. But I found it to be difficult to make decent bucks working on other peoples shit, but have been able to support my MC habits trading parts, and not dealing with the frustrations of other people's problems, nor getting my hands dirty on their's.
Right now I am involved in resurrecting my '68 Shovelhead FL hot rod I have been involved with since day one in 1967, and selling off parts I surely will no longer be needing....
....RooDog....
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Roodog,

I was making a joke on your typo on the word "Wench", instead of "WRENCH"! :lol:

I did not mean to ask a personal question.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Mark....
Doh! That's some funny stuff...
Some times I just don't see what I'm looking at....
I didn't catch it, even in red, until you explained it just now. And, no, I was not a "wench". LOL....
I suppose I should take more time to proof read what I'm blathering about.
....RD.....
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:57 am Mark....
I don't remember the dollar figure wage at the Dealership back in 1977, other than it was Minimum + commission. We had no flat rate manual to go by, and warranty work, for that boss and at that time, really sucked. I was a self educated tech, and the two years I spent were a continuation of that education. The money wasn't great, but the side benefits were: Education, parts, and meeting great people, and idiots. Also becoming very familiar with Iron Head Sportsters. I also met and moved in with my future wife, and we'er are still together, that was a good thing. But I got out of that customer paid biz, and moved on the the better paying auto body repair hustle, since the insurance companies were paying the bill, the pay days were more satisfying, and I did that til retirement.
Sorry, but I didn't answer your question. But I found it to be difficult to make decent bucks working on other peoples shit, but have been able to support my MC habits trading parts, and not dealing with the frustrations of other people's problems, nor getting my hands dirty on their's.
Right now I am involved in resurrecting my '68 Shovelhead FL hot rod I have been involved with since day one in 1967, and selling off parts I surely will no longer be needing....
....RooDog....
Fixing stuff for the public sucks. Been there, done that.

Return to “Panhead”