Hellings Handlebars

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Hellings Handlebars

Post by George Greer »

Again need some assistance.

Robbie helped me identify these Hellings handlebars and are the bars that I am using on the pan.

Issue:

No matter how I assemble this throttle set-up, I can not get full throttle at the carb.

What am I putting together incorrectly?

George
Helling Handlebar ID.jpg
Helling Handlebar ID.jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
Hellings bars.JPG
Hellings bars.JPG (113.83 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
Handlebar parts.jpg
Handlebar parts.jpg (97.91 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
handlebar parts1.jpg
handlebar parts1.jpg (83.29 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Hellings Handlebars

Post by RUBONE »

Decrease the length of the lever on the carb, leave the bars alone. Different year spirals have different lengths of pull, the lever will change the distance needed.
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Back again with the throttle pull length.

No matter what I did with the Linkert installed I was not able to get the throttle to go full open, just ran out of "push".

Ok, switched carb to Bendix, and have a "pull" spiral installed.

Same thing, not enough pull to go full open throttle.

So,

Since these are not Harley bars, rather Hellings bars with harley plungers p/n 56391-49.

Could the spiral itself be the cause insufficient length of pull? OR, could the plungers be incorrect for this mix?

Robbie, would you know the part numbers for the different length for various years of length of the spirals pull?

Thanks for any advice / help with getting this solved.

I am now just waiting on a throttle wire to arrive, since I screwed up the last one I had by trimming it too short..

George

PS, edit to add: I don't want to modify anything on the bars themselves. I thought of making the slot longer but changed my thinking. Certainly I have a mix-up of parts. and it's just finding the right combo.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Robbie, would you know the part numbers for the different length for various years of length of the spirals pull?
George,
There are no "different length of pull" spirals there is just one of each direction. Are the cable spools installed correctly and not causing an issue? What throttle arm is on your carb? I'll measure total pull on a set of '49 bars I have to compare for you.

'
white1j0
Bikes: '02 Fatboy, '47 Knuckle, '52Pan

Post by white1j0 »

I had the same problem with my '52 Pan, it turned out that the after market wire wasn't stiff enough and it was bunching up in the outer casing, I bought a length of choke cable. which is a lot more ridged from a lawn mower repair shop. it fixed the problem
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

While shopping for "choke cable" I noticed that they came in varying thicknesses of inner wire. I had to use a micrometer to measure the cable to get the fattest wire for my application. Again, stainless MIG welding wire might work too, as It is tempered and designed to be pushed through many feet of lined housing.
....RooDog....
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Robbie,

Here's a pic of the carb that I overhauled, and one of the plunger.

white1j0, I have a new wire on order, and here where I live the closest lawnmower repair place in Ansbach Germany, bout a hour from me.

Fellas, thanks.......
Attachments
Bendix carb.JPG
Bendix carb.JPG (149.51 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
1949-53 Control Cable plunger.jpg
1949-53 Control Cable plunger.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

RUBONE wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:03 pm
George,
There are no "different length of pull" spirals there is just one of each direction. Are the cable spools installed correctly and not causing an issue? What throttle arm is on your carb? I'll measure total pull on a set of '49 bars I have to compare for you.

'
Robbie, thanks for offering me to measure the amount of pull, that way I have something to compare.

George
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

George, apropos of nothing, I've been to Ansbach, home town buddy of mine was in an artillery unit there in the late '60's and I went to visit on a 3 day pass. Is that f**cked up or what, to spend a 3 day pass in another army barracks :D We had a great time anyway. Lengrees was my favorite, did radio repair school there one Summer. Delightful.
Oh yeah, I'd wonder about the flex too. The devil's always in the details.
DD
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

George....
Off topic, but, this is the air cleaner I rigged for my Bendix on a Panny. Typical AM backing plate with the unneeded holes welded shut and ground flat, K&N lifetime filter, and an OEM stainless cover. A J slot cover could also be made to work. This fits in close for good leg clearance too....
....RooDog....
DSC02162 (5).JPG
DSC02162 (5).JPG (139.2 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

RooDog wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:18 pm George....
Off topic, but, this is the air cleaner I rigged for my Bendix on a Panny. Typical AM backing plate with the unneeded holes welded shut and ground flat, K&N lifetime filter, and an OEM stainless cover. A J slot cover could also be made to work. This fits in close for good leg clearance too....
....RooDog....

DSC02162 (5).JPG
Exact same set-up I have assembled for my use!

And it does provide more leg room over what the Linkert and filter had.

George
Last edited by George Greer on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Frankenstein wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:12 pm George, apropos of nothing, I've been to Ansbach, home town buddy of mine was in an artillery unit there in the late '60's and I went to visit on a 3 day pass. Is that f**cked up or what, to spend a 3 day pass in another army barracks :D We had a great time anyway. Lengrees was my favorite, did radio repair school there one Summer. Delightful.
Oh yeah, I'd wonder about the flex too. The devil's always in the details.
DD
Herr Dr.

Quite a bit has changed in and about the Ansbach area..........mostly shut down, and being renovated to other uses.

Wife retired from Bank of America, which was located on Katterbach Kaserne.....where the airfield is located...

Quite sad to see all the places that are gone.

George
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

That's what I like about you, George, we seem to think and buils about the same, except, of course, for the things you are wrong about, LOL...
But I have not been fond of the internal (infernal) throttle setup ever since I got rid of that stuff from my original purchase 1950 Panhead back in 1967.
I mentioned in another posting that H-D used a pull to open internal throttle on the AMF Shovelheads &Sporties equipped with Bendix carbs through 1973, so that may be a parts source for you....
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

George....
You could move the fitting inward on the carb's throttle quadrant, shortening the arc length, thusly not needing as much travel with the push wire to achieve full throttle openimg. Eh?
Just drill a new hole, it would not be a perminant modification, and you could go back to the original position at any time.
....RooDog....
omar1951
Bikes: 1938,1947,1955,1965,1968,1997,2000,2005 Harley Davidsons

Post by omar1951 »

In/re inner wire, a music store or piano maker could help you here. The wire I use is .055" in diameter, and I bought it online. It's piano wire.....tempered and hardened, never kinks or bunches up. When using with springer bar throttle and spark advance, I recommend bending the end that goes into the slider before cutting to length. The stuff is that stiff that you have to leave a little extra to grab and make the bend.

Return to “Panhead”