Generator Question

Tudelum48
Bikes: 1950 Harley Hydraglide

Generator Question

Post by Tudelum48 »

With my basket case I have 2 (32E ) generators but I also have what I think is a 51Fan. Can't find an id on it. I am in the process of rebuilding a 32E but was wondering if the 51 Fan was used on a 1950FL like I'm restoring. Below is the photo of the generator in question.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Generator Question

Post by RUBONE »

Fan cooled generators were police units designed for extreme service using Radios. Are you building a Police bike?

https://www.hydra-glide.net/kb/parts/41 ... 54_055.php
Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

No I'm just building a stock 50 FL.
So the police generators are compatible but were police bike specific?
Also I was wondering if they were surperior design or just better because of high output?
Right now I can rebuild either for my bike if there comparable. Like I said before I just got a box of parts I'm trying to assemble.
Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

My 32E generators came with photo in the middle. But I have also seen photo's with the drive gear in photo 1st and 3rd photo.
As far as I know my gears in the motor are for a 1950. But I'm not sure if the either of the generators were used on my bike.
Which gear is correct?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

1st and 3rd pics are Flathead gears, the middle is an OHV gear.
Police generators are two brush and require a large three component regulator. They do not work with a relay.
Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

Thanks Rubone. Looks like I'm in good shape on generators. LOL
Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

Looks like my other generator is a 58R. Got any idea of the model year it was used?
Generator 58R 1.JPG
Generator 58R 3.JPG
Generator 58R 2.JPG
msteuer
Bikes: 64FL
73FLH
76FLH

Post by msteuer »

Using the search engine, this seems to be the appropriate place to post this question. I was rereading the generator drive gear information in my Palmer book. At the end of the section he notes the gear options on the model 58R generators. I have the 1:022” gear in place of the 1:00” on my 64FL. His note states that the .014” shim and paper must be used. I can’t find these illustrated in my parts book or the 58R reference material in the documentation section spanning the 50s. Anyone up on this?
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

msteuer wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:38 pm Using the search engine, this seems to be the appropriate place to post this question. I was rereading the generator drive gear information in my Palmer book. At the end of the section he notes the gear options on the model 58R generators. I have the 1:022” gear in place of the 1:00” on my 64FL. His note states that the .014” shim and paper must be used. I can’t find these illustrated in my parts book or the 58R reference material in the documentation section spanning the 50s. Anyone up on this?
There is no way to use shims and paper on any big twin engine built after 1957 as there is no saddle for the generator on the cases.
msteuer
Bikes: 64FL
73FLH
76FLH

Post by msteuer »

I had the model 61 that I pulled today along side the 58R. I took several dimensions comparing the drive gear on each unit. The most important being the distance between the outboard end of the drive gear and the generators case. No difference. So this is where the confusion comes in on the addition of a shim an paper. This is why I posted the question. No P/Ns or explanation included in that note. OK ,I’m moving forward. Thanks for the info. Always appreciated.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Succint, excellent summation. :lol: :lol:
RUBONE wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:51 am
msteuer wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:38 pm Using the search engine, this seems to be the appropriate place to post this question. I was rereading the generator drive gear information in my Palmer book. At the end of the section he notes the gear options on the model 58R generators. I have the 1:022” gear in place of the 1:00” on my 64FL. His note states that the .014” shim and paper must be used. I can’t find these illustrated in my parts book or the 58R reference material in the documentation section spanning the 50s. Anyone up on this?
There is no way to use shims and paper on any big twin engine built after 1957 as there is no saddle for the generator on the cases.

Return to “Generator”