Generator/Regulator Test

Davidb
Bikes: 1961 pan head

Generator/Regulator Test

Post by Davidb »

New to the site. Thanks to everyone for the helpful info.

Working on my 1961 FLH and trying to determine if my generator is functioning. Did test per the manual and amperage seems to bounce around on the meter between 15 and up to 33 amps.

Voltage seems a constant 2.1 volts.

Should the voltage be at 6 to 7 volts and does the reading of 2.1 volts indicate I need to rebuild the generator. Generator is a model 61 original
andyinlz
Bikes: 1967 FLH
1959 FLH
Other H-Ds

Re: Generator/Regulator Test

Post by andyinlz »

Are you using an analog meter (with a needle) or a digital meter?
Davidb

Post by Davidb »

Digital meter
Davidb

Post by Davidb »

Measuring "Gen" to ground on the voltage regulator per the manual
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

David,

first, welcome to the forum!

Does your headlight get brighter when you rev the bike up?

digital voltmeters can be difficult to read. usually i start with the regulator, assuming you have a 2 unit delco on your bike.

john
Davidb

Post by Davidb »

John,

Thanks for the response. I do have a Delco 2 unit regulator.

I am just confused by how the manual reads. Manual indicates that we should have 15 amps, I do have the amperage but the voltage read at "Gen" with separate meter only shows 2 volts.

I used a cheap dimmer switch form Lowes to act as my "variable resistance to ground". Maybe I was not taking "F" to an appropriate level thru the dimmer and that is why I am getting only 2 volts.

I will try to ground "F" momentarily to see if the voltage changes
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

david,

good plan. you might try pushing down on the cutout relay with a pencil when the bike is running and watch the voltmeter. any change would indicate dirty contacts.

i use electro motive spray on a business card to clean the points in the regulator with good results.

john
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

A dimmer switch will not function as a variable resistance to ground.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

David, Check battery condition , specific gravity ect. Make sure it's where it should be first off. Follow the guidelines in the service manual for testing and flashing a 2 brush generator . Check and adjust point gap on regulator . Let us know what you find
Adam
Davidb

Post by Davidb »

Removed generator and dis assembled. Looks like the first time in 50+ years. Ordered rebuild kit and found a local shop to turn armature and check the Field coils.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the help.

I will take the original Voltage regulator to shop, hopefully he can bench test the generator after rebuild and set up/verify original voltage regulator is functional then I will try to stop the "sumping" problem that I thought I had fixed
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

David!

Does your shop have an armature growler?
GRWLRS.jpg
....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davidb

Post by Davidb »

Not sure if the "guy" has a growler.

Brought the 61 pan from Illinois. to Denver, CO area. Norm passed it down to me. Bad hip no can kick start

Norm brought the linkert over to you a month or so ago and you re-built a 85 Sportster long ago for me after I blew the engine.

The "guy" does nothing but Generators for automotive and I am assuming motorcycles as I got his name from a local independent motorcycle shop.

Thanks for all of your input, this site has been critical on me getting this bike back on the road after being mouth balled for 15+ years
Davidb

Post by Davidb »

OK, I know this subject has been beat to death but I still cannot figure out what is wrong with my generator.

Rewired machine completely, well not the handle bar wires, had generator rebuilt, local "expert"... dash has been rebuilt, thanks to a northern brother.

All electrical appears to be solid except the dummy light is still on

took back to "expert generator guy" and he did find that the field was grounded, he fixed that. so I put back on machine and still have same problem.

Took all wires off of generator, measured "A" to positive thru a digital multi meter on battery, I get a bounce of voltage from .0234567 to around 6 volts, very quick readings, like millisecond changes, no constant voltage, with or without the "F" being grounded. Actually there is no change in the bouncing voltage if "F" is grounded or not or none that can be seen

Is my field still grounded, should the voltage be above 6 volts with "F" grounded.

also tried the amperage test per the book but I do not believe my digital meters as it produced little if any amperage.

Running a harley -29 6 volt battery that has been trickled to 6.4 volts standing, battery load tested at auto store and developed 128 CCA. what ever that means.

I want to keep the 6 volt system stock but...... and do not want to invest in new generator and solid state if that is not the issue.

I have 5 mechanical voltage regulators ranging from 1 new Accell to original Delco that the "expert" set up for me. All do not change the condition so I think it is generator, for now.

What creates the 6+ volts.....armature, brushes, field.

Lights do not change with rev of engine, they stay constant or get brighter

I have another question about tires but I will start a new post.

Thanks in advance

David B
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Took all wires off of generator, measured "A" to positive thru a digital multi meter on battery, I get a bounce of voltage from .0234567 to around 6 volts, very quick readings, like millisecond changes, no constant voltage, with or without the "F" being grounded. Actually there is no change in the bouncing voltage if "F" is grounded or not or none that can be seen
It sounds like you hooked a voltmeter between the "A" terminal on the generator and the battery positive terminal, with all wires disconnected from the generator? That is not going to tell you anything.

You need to either:

-connect the F terminal to Ground, and hook up an ammeter between the A terminal and the Battery Positive terminal. Rev the engine some and you should see 10-15 amps into the battery.

-connect F terminal to Ground, and A terminal directly to battery. hook a voltmeter up, positive to A terminal, and negative to Ground. With engine off, you will measure battery voltage, but it will quickly start to discharge your battery thru the non-running generator. Start and rev engine and you should get a voltage higher than the battery voltage you measured with engine off. Don;t keep this connected for more than a few minutes.
Davidb

Post by Davidb »

Andy

I will try and post my results of your test suggestion

Thanks

David B

Return to “Generator”