65A generator ???

George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

65A generator ???

Post by George Greer »

I saved my Euros and took the advice of a good Dr.

And being this is my 1st try at rebuilding a generator I did this.

I have a 65A generator, and built it up of 99% NOS parts.

I used, as advised a 6Volt armature, and 12Volt field coils. all NOS. new bearings, seals brush's....etc

Built her up yesterday, then took the instructions given here by board members and hooked it up to a battery......yep it motors! But not very fast, so how fast should it spin? Happy Camper so far.,,

Now my question is:

Given the parts used, does anyone have a idea of the power that it will produce? On my 58 project, I will not be using a lot of lighting.......ya know....headlight, tail light-running light and turnsignals.

Other that the fit of the drive gear (sloppy and not NOS) it's ok...........but I think that I will try and find a NOS one with the oil slinger. Used or NOS if I can find one. My parts manual lists one with it, and one without. (any advantage/disadvantage to using either one?).

Thanks to all that gave me advice with this.

George
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: 65A generator ???

Post by 58flh »

George---It wont motor to fast / Like a drill.-Sometimes if you push on the brushes it might spin faster--but not much!.--You shoulf put in a good batt. 12.5V & hook-up your regulater Then use a multimeter & see what shes putting out -(back-into the batt!).--You can throw a headlight in the mix for draw & make-sure the reg. is doing its job!.----THE cheapo GEAR-(BEWARE!)--They dont sit on the arm. right & Vibe-loose & fall into the gearcase!--(happened to me to & few others!).--You can fit it better using a file --then clean it real good & Loc-tite the gear & a drop on the lock-nut wont hurt.I have been good for 2+-yrs. now!.My advice if you can get a OEM gear DO IT!.Also if they motor on the bench 99% it will run good in the bike!---Use a GOOD REG.-BOSCH, DELCO-REMY for early chevy,-just re-adjust the output as in manual!-----RICHIE----(Sorry for the other posts, my mouse is beat-up).
Last edited by 58flh on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 am, edited 8 times in total.
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Hey Richie......

Yep, she motors good! About the same speed as a battery powered drill.

I just hooked up the jumper leads and a battery on the bench like John told me how to hook it up to see if it motors.....now I am wondering about the output amps that is may produce.

I do have a Bosch regulator waiting on me back in Portland.

The generator I am taking it as it will be ok.

I am now finishing up on the M-74, and on the transmission build, once they are finished I will finish up on the auto-advance circuit breaker's build/rebuild. I have all the parts on hand, just doing one at a time.

Once all is finished, I will get it all to Oregon to be waiting for me when wife and I go back next year.

I am going to leap for the NOS generator gear with the slinger... since all the others that I find are without the slinger, and are repo's.

George
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

EDIT........

I found the answer to the difference in generator gear's (13 tooth vs. 14 tooth).

They will both work, but the generator will reach its peak output sooner.

George
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

George,
You may want to see if your local hd dealer can spot a gear for you. If they are obsolete, they've not been for very long.

Return to “Generator”