eBay posts
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Best motor yet at Ebay

Post by Hog54 »

Anybody else have a 1951E? :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-D ... 2a14971176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Best motor yet at Ebay

Post by Bosheff »

1952 was the last year of the "E" series (61 cu in). I have never heard of an "E" in 52, but that doesn't mean an "E" was not available. I did in fact work on a 52EL years ago....bosheff
Hog54
Inactive member
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Yeah but the rest of the numbers are crap too. :D
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Hog54 wrote:Yeah but the rest of the numbers are crap too. :D
I see a couple of things in that serial number which at first glance appear unusual but that doesn’t mean anything because the photo is too blurry for a proper opinion to be given. Did you ask the seller for a better photo?

The left case casting number is 112-481 which is consistent with 1951 and I can’t see any sign that the serial number boss has been altered. Yet it seems you’re convinced that some (all?) of the characters aren’t good so I’d like to know what you see that makes you so sure. How many characters do you think are not usual Harley types for a 51 Pan? Can you please explain exactly what you think is wrong with each character you think isn’t a usual Harley type for that year. And can you also please explain exactly what you think each character should look like. Eric
Hog54
Inactive member
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Probably as good as these numbers. :D http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 4012031100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Speeding Big Twin

Obviously the 49 serial number doesn’t look like it was stamped at the factory. But that isn’t what I asked you about. What I asked you about was the 51 serial number. Why do you think the characters in the 51 serial number are not the usual types for a 51 Pan? Eric
Hog54
Inactive member
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Speeding Big Twin wrote:Obviously the 49 serial number doesn’t look like it was stamped at the factory. But that isn’t what I asked you about. What I asked you about was the 51 serial number. Why do you think the characters in the 51 serial number are not the usual types for a 51 Pan? Eric

Because the 51 has the same 9. :D
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Hog54 wrote: Because the 51 has the same 9. :D
Hog54!

Its a fuzzy pic, and it looks like it could be an eight on my monitor.

....Cotten
Speeding Big Twin

Hog54 wrote:Because the 51 has the same 9. :D
In my first post I stated: ‘I see a couple of things in that serial number which at first glance appear unusual but that doesn’t mean anything because the photo is too blurry for a proper opinion to be given.’
The third sequence character was one of the couple of things I was referring to but in a blurry photo sometimes all is not what it seems. I’m not convinced that third sequence character is the type you seem to think it is.

Here are two examples of what happened in serial number discussions on another forum a while back:
1. Someone asked about a character that looked like a rounded 6 in the sequence portion of a 37UL serial number. He wasn’t condemning the serial number and there was nothing wrong with him asking the question because a rounded 6 would have indeed been unusual. As often happens, another member chimed in and indicated the serial number was a problem. But I wasn’t convinced there was anything wrong so I contacted the seller and asked him. The seller replied, saying the character in question was not a 6 but was in fact an 8. The entire serial number was okay.
2. Someone started a thread and called a 40UA serial number a number job. Another member questioned him and the first guy said look at the 2s and the 6 with the round back. But the photo was blurry and I wasn’t convinced there was anything wrong. I wasn’t even convinced there was a 6. I contacted the seller and asked for a clear photo. When the new photo was placed in the ad it proved there was nothing wrong with the 2s and the alleged 6 was in fact a 5. The entire serial number was authentic.

You only mentioned a 9 in your previous post but earlier you said the rest of the numbers are ---- too. So it would seem you think that some (all?) of the other characters are a problem. Exactly what other characters are you concerned about? And if you want to ask the seller for a clear photo the engine is again on eBay. Eric

Return to “eBay”