Heres a strange one on ebay?

eBay posts
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Heres a strange one on ebay?

Post by Hog54 »

This guy thinks its a 48,but it has 51 casting number,a 52 belly number and a tappet oil screen plug for hydraulic lifters?I thought tappet oil screen plugs didnt start till 53?And I never seen a cylinder base oil valley on a hydraulic lifter bike.And it doesnt have any oil feed holes for the hydraulic lifter tappet blocks. :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-OEM-1948 ... 500wt_1414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Re: Heres a strange one on ebay?

Post by kitabel »

Palmer says that's a mid to late 1952 case.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

So whats the tappet screen for if its only running solid tappets?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The late '52 cases had the plug as an upgrade in anticipation of the new lifters. The lifters were most likely delayed for a while during testing but the cases went ahead! Lots of original matching belly number late '52 cases out there that have those features along with 4 fin cam covers..
Robbie
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Hog54 wrote:This guy thinks its a 48,but it has 51 casting number,a 52 belly number ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-OEM-1948 ... 500wt_1414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1. I suggest the reason the seller said it’s 1948 is because the casting number ends with 48.
2. I know what you mean when you say it has a 51 casting number but for the benefit of anybody who doesn’t know I will say it does not have a 51 casting number; instead it has a 51 casting date code (2-1 = Feb 51).
3. You say it has a 52 belly number (BN) and I agree the first three characters of said BN seem to be 152. However, the 1 appears to have serifs at the top and bottom. I can’t tell what sort of top serif it has but I would not expect to see any serif at the bottom of a 1 in that position (code number) for a 1952 BN. If that 1 has a serif at the bottom then that could indicate it was not stamped at the factory. You have a 1954 Pan? If so, I suggest you look at code number 1 in your BN and then compare it with code number 1 in the eBay BN. I would expect your code number 1 to have a top serif at forty-five degrees but no serif at the bottom.

I cannot yet see anything wrong with the 8 and 1 in the sequence portion of the BN but if anybody is thinking of bidding on this case then I recommend asking for a clear photo showing every character in the BN.
Eric
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Also if you look good ,that case has been welded in the past,& needs some work as it is!,I think the left motormount to belly has been blown out once already!--I may be wrong but theres alot of indications of it if you look close. Unless My screen needs a cleaning!--It is very old & weighs a ton, no flatscreen here :lol: --So what do you guys think ?---Richie

Return to “eBay”