Outside Oiler Heads

panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Outside Oiler Heads

Post by panz4ever »

Picked up a pair of outside oiler heads for my 56 rat-pan project. Cases are 56, cylinders 60.

1. Where do I run the line to?

2. Do I need to plug any holes in the cylinders or case? Guess I am wondering about over-oiling or oil not going where it should.
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Re: Outside Oiler Heads

Post by drinner-okc »

I would install set-screws just below the cylinder base surface, is the motor apart where thread shavings can be blown/washed away? I would not locktite them in, but use a thread sealant ot anti-sieze where they can be removed in the future. If you let the oil pressure press against the base gasket & head gasket it will find a way out.
What cam cover are you running? You could drill & tap the same place Knuckle heads oiled from on the top of the cam cover at the back. Again, this repair could be reversed with a new
convex plug in the future.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Panz4ever!

1: I'd use which ever hole is most convenient and practical with your plumbing resources, because you will most likely want to restrict the flow with an orifice regardless. (See #2)

2: A well-sealed overhead-oiler cylinder base gasket should do it.
The galleries and gaskets do not experience that much more pressure from being blocked than they do in normal operation. The flow is just diverted.

And that can be part of the problem.

In the olden times, I whipped up an overhead "wishbone" oil line out of 1/4"stainless. It was inspiring, if I may say that.
But the heads flooded at high-highway speeds over extended distances, just like a Knuckle.

(Knucks require de-accelleration to properly drain the heads. That was appropriate for the road system.
Pans were the first H-Ds where you could set the grip and go all day. But it wasn't until Eisenhower's Interstate System that they could be fully enjoyed. H-D was ahead of the Nation at that time.)

The drain capacity of the heads apparently has a limit, and it was somewhere between the restriction of OEM 3/16" lines and the 1/4". I would start an a .090" orifice in any healthy feedline, and work downward if she loads up.

Good luck!

...Cotten
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Panz4ever,
I would venture to guess that based on the number of folks looking for the correct outside oilers to RESTORE their bikes you could make a killer trade in your favor and not have to modify anything.
Just thinking out loud!
Robbie
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

But Golly Gee, Robbie!

What's more fun than making a purista jealous?

....Cotten
I only preach "correct".
I can't practice it.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

panz4ever wrote:Picked up a pair of outside oiler heads for my 56 rat-pan project. Cases are 56, cylinders 60.

1. Where do I run the line to?

2. Do I need to plug any holes in the cylinders or case? Guess I am wondering about over-oiling or oil not going where it should.
You can use the fitting hole where your oil pressure sensor is on the oil pump( dummy light switch )and as was said find a way to restrict the flow . You can still run the dummy light switch or a gage ,or nothing but head oiling line(s)They make some lines just for this .

Do you have a tappet strainer in the case , if so ,the line(s) can go there .

As said, a Shovel cylinder base gasket will work, to cut off the inner oil ports .
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

Here's how I did mine 20 years ago. Works Fine.
BW1011.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cylinderheads”