ROCKER COVER GASKET...

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

ROCKER COVER GASKET...

Post by awander »

goop or no goop?
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: ROCKER COVER GASKET...

Post by Robert Luland »

Andy heres a cut fome a post of mine a couple of years ago. Follow it to the tee and you'll never see oil coming out of those pans. Bob L

Here's the leak proof secret. I start by wiping down the gasket surface with lacquer thinner. You can have the cleanest looking part but wipe it down with lacquer thinner and a white rag and you would be amazed of the crap that comes off. Do not use paint thinner or spirits as they leave a residue behind. Repeat this on the head and pan until the rag stays clean. Now get your self one of those every day pan gaskets. That's right you don't have to go out and blow twenty bucks on gaskets to get it leak proof. The next step is the sealer. Yama bond 4 or 5. Just tell the parts guy you want the light gray one. This is produced in the states under a name like TreeBond Liquid Gasket 1104 but Yamaha just slaps their name on it. I used to get it from Flanders. This stuff like silicon will ruin your engine if not applied properly. Before you say this guy is full of it let me explain? Silicone and Yama bond do not brake down in oil. If used in excess it will circulate though you engine plugging crank journals etc I've ripped engines down only to pull gobs of gasket sealer out. To avoid this do the following. I collect the gray cardboard backings off the yellow legal pads I use. I smear the gasket down on one side and stick it to the cardboard I then coat the other side flip it on the cardboard. The gasket just needs to be in permeated. No excess. I have never torqued my pan bolts but if it makes ya happy. Do it! See that was painless. Bob
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

There's lots of good goobers.

The trick is getting the pans flat,

and picking a thin gasket so the pans won't warp all over again.

....Cotten
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

I use a light spray with copper-coat, no leaks, no worry about silicone. the key to success is really in the pans & D-rings not the gasket or goop. The pans have to be flat, if they're old & bent & gouged you're going to have leaks and adding gobs of extra thick goop is just going to eventually damage the motor. Check the pan surfaces with a good metal straight edge and make sure they are flat and not gouged. If they are good, the D-rings are good & all your bolt holes are good then they shouldn't leak even if assembled dry.
cole
Inactive member
Bikes: 1960 FLH

Post by cole »

I like using the corks, gotta retighten a couple times when warm but I've never had problems. Also very true about the flat, clean surface. Just saying. cole
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

I agree with clean and dry every time when assembling anything. I always have a can of laquer thinner handy.
Clean heads and clean straight pans are key.
I've used a light coat with an artist brush of honda bond on the head and pans with metal embossed cork gaskets.
Tighten screws in a ""X" pattern across the pan slowly and evenly.
This has been successful.

jim
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

I use the gaskets from Accurate Engineering. They are some special type of silicon and they are about 3/32" thick. They are a bit pricey, but the cool thing about them is that they are re-usable! (as long as you're careful with them).

Return to “Cylinderheads”