Head puzzle

keser
Inactive member
Bikes: 1967 FLH
1962 FL

Head puzzle

Post by keser »

First I'd like to say thanks for all the information I have been reading for the last 2 months. I've picked up my first pan project, a 62 that had a shovel top end on it. I'm trying to put it back to a complete pan. My question is has anybody had any luck with the STD replica heads that some guy is selling on epay? They seem to be a bargain price so that instantly makes me wary. As far as I know STD is now gone and there won't be anymore heads coming. Thanks for any help. Gene
keser
Inactive member
1962 FL

Re: Head puzzle

Post by keser »

And, is it better to just wait and try to find a set that can be rebuilt? I don't have a lot of money to throw at this so I've got to get it right the first time. I like what I've seen the guy at Head Hog can do.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

A friend of mine is running STD heads on his '49. The bike has awesome power, some of which must be contributed to by those heads. The exhaust port has bolt holes--- seems I recall any shovelhead exhaust pipe will bolt right up. If you're not concerned about the originality of it, the STD heads are a fine option--- in my ever-so-humble opinion, anyway.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Just be careful that you get the heads with the correct intake port. There are shovel-type and panhead-type versions....
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Money spent on repairing historic hardware is an investment for posterity.

Dishing it out for for an aftermarket performance kit is whatever you can make of it.

Is STD still in business?
The original '64 heads used for patterns belonged to a tribal aquaintance of mine, until he felt like not paying the local Dealership for their services. The whole motor sat on display for years, until an associate of mine departed with the the heads (at least) to then join the Stan Trachtenberg endeavor. I don't think he lasted long with them, but the fine "hybrid" performance heads did.
Someday those heads should hold their own value.
But to the discriminating vintage market that holds all the bucks, forget it. You might as well chop the headstock.

....Cotten
keser
Inactive member
1962 FL

Post by keser »

Thanks for the input guys. If I can round up some original heads at a fair price that's what I'd prefer, but it's good to have an option. As far as I've been able to research, STD has shut their doors. The phone number is disconnected when I called.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

The STD heads kik ass, excelent flow. we put some on my old 54 and it now has top end pull way beyond a safe riding speed "way beyond" pans have incredable 3rd gear pull it seems to go on as long as you can hold on and now with the STDs 4th gear has no end . and I'm sorry to addmit but my "76" cant keep up .
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

one more thing to look at if your gonna buy used "stock " heads be sure the thread inserts for the head bolts are NOT pulling out of the alluminium ! this is a very common pan problem and most guys miss this one.. once they start comming out its all over but the crying and of corse you should pay close attention to how deep the valves set in the seat as many have been ground to death.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

If you are not doing a resto the STD heads work fine.Unlike cutting the headstock you can change the heads anytime with no traces.:)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

steinauge wrote:If you are not doing a resto the STD heads work fine.Unlike cutting the headstock you can change the heads anytime with no traces.:)
If the original headstock is removed properly, a quality replacement can be virtually undetectable.
framejig.jpg
STD heads will require a chubblehead manifold and exhaust; At least Gene already has those!

...Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

keser wrote:And, is it better to just wait and try to find a set that can be rebuilt? I don't have a lot of money to throw at this so I've got to get it right the first time. I like what I've seen the guy at Head Hog can do.
Head Hog does very excellent work. Another great source is Creekside. Used them both and cannot say enough good about them. Neither is cheap but they are true craftsmen at what they do.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

Cotten you are of course right,but it sure is easier to replace a set of heads than a headstock! I notice the STD heads arent exactly cheap! I reckon I could find and repair a set of mixed breed OEM heads for cobsiderably less money.
katto
Bikes: 1948 panhead

Post by katto »

STD heads are good.They have the bigger valves, and the shovel intake flows so much better. I put a set on a 1950 el and it made it run great! But if your going to use STD heads be carfull to use the corect head bolts as the intake head bolt is a little shorter; and one can do damage to the intake port if you do not! One can shorten an OEM head-bolt too...Also be shure to chase all threads! My heads all needed to be chased and de-bured!! But other than that Im very happy with em! oh almost forgot; I got mine not long after they first come out about 1991!!!!
fatfatboy
Bikes: '03 Fatboy
'14 Slim
'60 FLH
86 XT 350

Post by fatfatboy »

katto wrote:
But if your going to use STD heads be carfull to use the corect head bolts as the intake head bolt is a little shorter; and one can do damage to the intake port if you do not! One can shorten an OEM head-bolt too...
Hey thanks for that tip, katto. I'm putting some STD's on my Pan and I bet I would of caused myself some grief.
katto
Bikes: 1948 panhead

Post by katto »

fatfatboy wrote:
katto wrote:
But if your going to use STD heads be carfull to use the corect head bolts as the intake head bolt is a little shorter; and one can do damage to the intake port if you do not! One can shorten an OEM head-bolt too...
Hey thanks for that tip, katto. I'm putting some STD's on my Pan and I bet I would of caused myself some grief.
fatfatboy- Your welcome... I looked for the setup sheet I got years ago that warned about it. But I cant find! It allso told to use antiseze on head bolts. Allso to not re-torque head-bolts when motor is hot!!! To wait tel it cools down; then do it. PS. Im A Missouri Biker too! Katto

Return to “Cylinderheads”