rocker gasket frustration

1960RIDER
Bikes: 1960 panhead chopper
2003 FLSTS

rocker gasket frustration

Post by 1960RIDER »

My 1960 stroker had been seaping from the front rocker box for a few months,
but not badly. When it started to get a bit worse, I rememebered that a couple of years ago
I used an accurate engineering silicone gasket on my rear and didn't have to take the head off,
just be real careful not to get pieces of old gasket into the valve springs.
So, I installed a new Accurate gasket and it started leaking bad. After about 50 miles
putting up with a mess, I took off the gasket and found out I must have pinched the darn thing
while installing. Plus, It caught the valve springs and shreaded tiny bits of gasket which caught in
the tappet screen. I cleaned out the engine of junk and I installed a new cardboard gasket with
'gaskacinch'. Didn't work. Frustrated as hell, I bit the bullet and took it to my guru and paid him to do it.
Didn't work! Since I was so desperate just to ride the damn thing, I put high temp gasket maker around the
edges to at least slow the leak down. Well, I rode it that way for about two months, but finally got tired of the
mess and not being able to go on a long ride. So Saturday I spent the time real careful, took my time and installed
a brand new Accurate gakset and guess what after 20 miles or so? No leaking! Dry as a bone! Not a pinch of oil! :)
If only I had done her right the first time. :) :)
alwaysamopar
Inactive member
Bikes: 1978 Shovel 1964 Panhead

Re: rocker gasket frustration

Post by alwaysamopar »

Cool Glad you got it fixed!! Now get out and ride more than twenty miles
fatfatboy
Bikes: '03 Fatboy
'14 Slim
'60 FLH
86 XT 350

Post by fatfatboy »

Woohooo! Saifaction is so satisfying.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Those gaskets are indeed awesome. Are the rocker covers OEM? Any idea of the flatness of the gasket surface?

steve
1960RIDER
Bikes: 1960 panhead chopper
2003 FLSTS

Post by 1960RIDER »

Yes the rocker covers are OEM. Had to push the gas tanks up as high as I could to get
some clearance because the gaskets are so thick!
And you bet I will get her out there and do a lot more than 20 miles!
By the way, the rear gasket I did about 3 years ago several thousand miles and it's dryer than a bone.
I just don't know how I screwed up back this July. I think maybe I torqued the screws down too much.
Stock calls for 12-15 lbs (until gasket starts bulging). Accurate says 5-7 lbs only.
Like the gasket pack says: "these babies work"; and they do!
Scott McKelvey
Bikes: '60 FL chopper in 52 wishbone frame
'63 FL
('67 FLH and Gennie shovel custom)

Post by Scott McKelvey »

anyone try those foamette gaskets: the one with the steel inner and foam on each side of the steel core. I tried a set of these instead of the Accurate ones, mainly b/c i had good luck on a set of the same material for a leaky set of tappet blocks i had on a '67. But I haven't gotten to run them yet. Wondering if I should change to the Accurate ones before I put this motor in the frame.

Return to “Cylinderheads”