Blowing wind

kickerdel
Bikes: *

Blowing wind

Post by kickerdel »

Help!

I am blowing head gaskets like you would not believe. Same place everytime, on front barrel by the exhaust port.
I have had the head skimmed, crack checked, the barrel rebored, have been using James gaskets, and still the problem persists.
I am wondering if the heads have been skimmed to much since 1959 and I have excesive compression. Does anyone know what the stock depth of a head would be from the gasket face, or what volume it should be?
I am thinking of putting in a high lift cam to give me longer exhaust (Andrews A B grind), do you think this will help?
Any suggestions would be greatly appricated as I am doing my own head in trying to work this one out! and am fed up of not being able to do more than 500 miles without blowing a gasket, not to mention the one on the bike !?! >
Ente

Re: Blowing wind

Post by Ente »

Hi..
Regarding the gasket-blows
My own experience is that it is VERY important
that you after-tighten the bolts and nuts efter the first ride and when the engine is still warm..

brgds
Ente
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Check the height of the cylinder spigot against the depth of the counterbore in the head. (set the head on the jug without a gasket and look for daylight.)
Next, I must ask you how you are torquing the heads:
Are you taking them to 55 ft-lbs, in increments? Are you following a 'skip' pattern: torquing every other bolt, circling the head until all are to spec?
You have the proper extention for your torque wrench in order to reach the bolts?
Torquing by instinct often distorts the head
And remember: the most common cause of mechanical failures is heat. Many headgaskets are blown by intake manifold leaks.
kickerdel

Post by kickerdel »

In answer to your question, I am torquing the heads as per manual, i.e. every other bolt to the set torque, in increments.
Thanks for help so far chaps, but please keep on with your suggestions I will give them all a go if not tried already! and will let you know how I get on.
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

I have heard that the threaded inserts will begin to pull out of the head. When I had my heads off this winter, a couple of the inserts were protruding more than the others. but then again, my heads are early EL's. Seems that if they pulled out far enough, it might keep the head from sealing.
kickerdel

Post by kickerdel »

Thanks 57STROKER,
I'll keep an eye on them,but hopefully the head skim should sort that out.Keep the ideas coming chaps,'cause Im starting to clutch @ straws.
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

I agree with Ente's tip, the re-tightening is really necessary. DON'T FORGET to unbolt the top motor mount, though...
Bobben

Post by Bobben »

Hello! you have to control the length of the head bolts, that solve it for me!
panhandler
Bikes: 1963 FL mod

Post by panhandler »

Anything and everything you want to know about your pan engine can most likely to answered by Shoeman of Shoeman's Custom Cycles in Reno, Nevada. he redid my heads in 99 and in my opinion is an absolute Wizard. Don't have his number handy but he's in the book. good luck.

Return to “Cylinderheads”