Head question

hydra
Site Admin

Head question

Post by hydra »

Question on behalf of Allen Fox:

I need parts for my 57 pan engine.I cannot remember if pan heads will fit Shovel cylinders. Many years ago I switched to a Shovel top end.AS I recall the rods,cylinders,pistons were all shovel.Sadly,all those who knew the answers then have passed away.
The original Pan heads I have seen are in a little worse then poor condition,so I will go new after market.Not being to wealthy I would like to use the Shovel cylinders and pistons if possible.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Head question

Post by Bosheff »

Panheads willnot bolt to shovel cylinders, and vice versa. Bosheff
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

If you are buying new heads I believe STD sells a set of pan heads with a shovel bolt pattern.Otherwise,like the other feller said it dont fit!
wahoo
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948 EL
1960 FL
2008 Buell 1125R

Post by wahoo »

If you buy direct from STD they will ask you about bolt patterns, universal will bolt to pan or shovel.
Al Fox
Inactive member
Bikes: 57 Pan 91 Classic,2007 stroked Evo collection of parts

Post by Al Fox »

Bosheff wrote:Panheads willnot bolt to shovel cylinders, and vice versa. Bosheff
Thank you !I believe there are a few other head manufacturers ,but STD is the best known.If they make heads that bolt to Shovel cylindars that is great,
Al Fox
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

One thing to remember: When you talk to STD make sure you explain what intake manifold you want to use (pan or shovel). If you're not explicit there is a chance you could end up with the wrong type of intake spigots.

steve
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I wouldn't do any business with STD right now. Looks like they are on their way out of business. I've read numerous reports of guys who can't reach them in the last month after STD has taken the money for their parts.

-Craig
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Excellent tip Craig!
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I hope it's just a temporary "glitch". STD has been around a long time and makes some nice replacement parts to help us all keep our bikes running. I'd hate to hear that they were belly up. I haven't read anything "official" but have read a few reports from guys who say they've stopped answering phone calls and that they've been trying to reach them for weeks. Just for grins I tried to reach them yesterday and the phone rang but no pickup. Not even a pickup by a messaging system. It doesn't look good.

-Craig
ahdra101
Inactive member
Bikes: 1989 FXR
2008 FLHX

Post by ahdra101 »

when we tried to call STD about our head issue we got no answer as well

then we came across the VP's number called him directly and he said people had been calling him a lot lately and was wondering how his number was getting out he said he would check into our problem and call us back but nothing yet that was Thursday

V-Twin sells Std heads outright i know they sell bare heads and there are a few other places that sell complete heads

they are great heads the shovel intake and intake valves make an amazing difference (debatable on this forum i guess) but it is simple geometry the pan intakes make a 90 degree angle so a lot of velocity is lost that's why they have stuck with the shovel angle for so many years and as far as the fuel mileage issue people talked about in another forum yes the intakes are bigger so yes you will use more fuel but you will go faster when tuned correctly

one last thing the inside bolt that goes under the intake on the STD heads might need to be shortened as the hole is not as long as the others to make room for the larger valves just one more thing to check when assembling

Return to “Cylinderheads”