rocker arm assembly/ valve cover questions

doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

rocker arm assembly/ valve cover questions

Post by doc308 »

Well, after waiting 7 months to get my '48 heads refurbished, I finally picked them up today. However, although all of the valve work was done, the rocker assemblies haven't been installed. I've never done this job before --so here are my Q's:

The rocker assemblies with the oil holes in them go on the intake sides of the heads?

The oilers--these also go on the intake assemblies with the spouts pointing at the intake valves?

Are the front and rear head rocker assemblies all the same--ie , does it matter which head the assembly goes on or are they configured to fit a certain way?

Should loc- tight be used on all of the studs/nuts?

I see valve cover pads advertized on ebay which are about 50% thicker than stock pads. Would these cause any mounting/interference problems.? It would seem tha they would be pretty good at deadening valve train noise.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: rocker arm assembly/ valve cover questions

Post by fourthgear »

Above are some photos for your viewing.
The rocker assemblies with the oil holes in them go on the intake sides of the heads?
Are you talking about the oil holes in the photo above , on top of the top cap of the rocker bearing .
The oilers--these also go on the intake assemblies with the spouts pointing at the intake valves?
Yes, there is a measurement for the distance above the arm . make sure they are clean & that little ball check in it rattles.
Are the front and rear head rocker assemblies all the same--ie , does it matter which head the assembly goes on or are they configured to fit a certain way?
Well , I would like to say you couldn't mess them up because of the alienment pins in the assem.,you can mix them up as far as assem. they should only go one way as far as an assem.,but you should not mix up bearing parts , they should be kept as sets.One of the above photos should help .
Should loc- tight be used on all of the studs/nuts?
Some do ,I don't ( maybe on the studs in the head )I use only the proper flex nuts & never re-use them .
I see valve cover pads advertized on ebay which are about 50% thicker than stock pads. Would these cause any mounting/interference problems.? It would seem tha they would be pretty good at deadening valve train noise.
Don't know about them , I use Jame's gaskets felt pads, some glue them to the covers ,I did not on my older Pan & had no problems with over 10K on them .
doc308
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

Thanks for the thorough reply and pictures, fourthgear--very helpful.
doc308
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

Another Q--I just noticed that only one of my intake rocker caps has an oil hole in it. Shouldn't each intake rocker assembly have an oil hole in the top? Once again, this is a 1948 panhead engine.

Return to “Cylinderheads”