Panhead D-rings - When are the needed?

sixball
Bikes: 1975 Shovelhead, 1955 Panhead

Panhead D-rings - When are the needed?

Post by sixball »

I'm new to panheads, as well as this site. I am currently working on a alternator shovel bottom end with STD panhead heads. I have some new aftermarket tin panhead rocker covers and I also bought some thick rubber/plastic James rocker cover gaskets. My question Is do I need to use D-rings? I have a set of cast D-rings and older stainless rocker covers for use with my 55 pan on the shelf. I'm just looking for some info on when the use of D-rings is needed and for what purpose.

Thanks
Sixball
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Panhead D-rings - When are the needed?

Post by VintageTwin »

I'd use the '54-65 thick D-rings or the thinner laminate-plate ones. Using the D-rings distributes the seal pressure between the perimeter screws. Make sure your covers are flat on the bottom. There's usually some warp and over-chroming of the perimeter screw hole's drill-slag. Place the covers on a sheet of glass. If you can rock them back and forth, then you need to work on them to make them flat.
dringsocketcf6.jpg
A NAPA #NMD608 1/4" deep socket. tighten the screws criss-cross to 15 inch lbs.
I like to mark the top of each screw when it gets torqued. I let the head sit for overnight with new gaskets. Leave the torque wrench set at 15 in. lbs. and come back and re-torque each one again just to be sure the gasket hasn't compressed (I only re-torque these screws because they have a thick cork under them. Re-torquing is not recommended on thin gasket applications.) I was able to pull a little bit more from the torque wrench on a couple of them.
15 in. lbs. feels like a secure torque and not an over-torque. These are new threads in both heads from Accurate Engineering, so keep that in mind before you put 15 in. lbs. of stress on old threads :!:
Use no sealer on the D-ring gaskets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sixball

Post by sixball »

Thanks for the info.... Another question: The D-rings go right on the head with NO gasket between the head and D-ring? Then the gasket goes on BETWEEN the D-ring and the rocker cover? I really need to find an online manual of the top end of a panhead. Also, what size allen screws do I need to go through the thick cast D-rings and thick james gasket?

Thanks
Sixball
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

There is no gasket between the D ring and the valve cover. The D ring only distributes the pressure of the bolts/screws onth evalve cover lip. The gasket goes on between the head ( ie the engine head) and the valve cover.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

sixball

Didja check the Knowledge Base?
sixball

Post by sixball »

Perfect. EXACTLY what I was looking for

Thanks
Sixball

Return to “Cylinderheads”