New STD heads

mbskeam
Bikes: *

New STD heads

Post by mbskeam »

hello, well heres some pics of heads.

well I hope they work as good as they look.
mbskeam
sleeper

Re: New STD heads

Post by sleeper »

Very Sweet!!!! They look Great!! I see your shop will have to tap the spark plug threads. No Biggie.
I do think they will perform, as good as they look!!
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

These are the heads I have on my Pan. I put up a post about them titled "Heads you win". They do indeed perform as well as they look. As Billy says, from the photos, it looks like the spark plug holes are not threaded. My heads came with the plug threads already tapped. It looks like an oversight on STDs part. I would give them a call and tell them about it.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

IT'S DEJA VU All over again!! Lou Tractenburg would have liked them. What a legacy STD carried through with! Wow! I've been waiting for this since 1988. Wow. Freakin' WOW!
Yeah, send the heads back for threads. They would want to make it right. Nice heads. These are the best times ever, since 1965. Thanks for posting the future. Now, where's the Linkert bodies? Somebodys going to make them. This is big stuff folks. Hail RePop! Hail yeah! I think I'll go mow the lawn, I'm so jacked-up.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Mbskeam, might wanna tell them what cam you're gonna be using & see what they say. Just to be on the safe side..Intakes valves do look a lil' bigger.
I like that they went back to the Pan exhaust flange...
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

What's the part number for these?
As you know I have head woes right now - I want to stay with the original castings, but these may just do as a back up if all else fails...
I take it they are available through the usual channels such as JP Cycles - or are there better prices around?

Cheers,

S.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Look great,...except for the chubble intake valves.
BIG mistake. (Been there, done that,...regretted it.
kell

Post by kell »

Suicide:
I bought my STD heads a couple of years ago direct from STD over the phone, I think I used a credit card. I 'm almost certain they are based in Chatsworth, which is in the San Fernando valley (L.A.).

Hey Cotten:

What is it about Hovelhead intakes? Enlighten.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Oh goody. Please connect them to a bottom end (asap) for a road test.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,well I thought about dual pluging these but Im tired of dicking with things. the heads are taped for small long plugs I think evo style I'll have to cross ref. # for oem to late model plug. Does any body have this out there? The heads are set up to run .470 lift cam , he said he would set them up for a bigger cam in the future .As for the intake it looks like the ports are lowerd on the top side with a raised vane running the length of the port to the valve seat .this is how they came from std.I think by making port roof lower that it will increase volocity. this is what same of my books tell me . I still dont have $$$ yet as I have not settled up on bill yet . I will post this later. these heads come bare no guides or ather related parts.I shuold get back bottom end tomorow.And then its go time!! 3:00 AM I see it now. got to make the annual vintage run on sunday. I will keep you all posted on this and how they perform.
mbskeam
Spark Plugs

Post by Spark Plugs »

Mbskeam,
84-99 Evo; long thread HD 5R6A=13/16" socket.
Champion cross over # RN12YC
Accel Plug cross over # 2410A

Twinkees; small long thread HD 6R12 =5/8" socket
Champion cross over # RA8HC
Accel Plug cross over # 2418
R= Resistor for all plugs listed...

Don't rush the recipe!! I think it's gonna taste good!
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

After reading Cottens previous comments regarding shovelhead valves in panheads, I was a little concerned when I saw the valves in the STD heads, but my bike seems to be running just fine. I ordered my heads through Nostalgia Cycle in Anamein, California. They sent me a checklist so I could tell them exactly what I wanted. The heads came assembled with the valves, guides, springs and keepers in place. They cost $1350.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

DD!
What kind of gas mileage do you get with your chubble intakes?
The pan intake ports will not accommodate the huge valves properly. Optimum flow and mixing actually occurs with a smaller valve.
I played with them for years, even with a Sifton 468S,..and the late "ported" '65 castings, and all they did was lighten my wallet at the gas pump.
So I went milder with the cam, but to no avail.
When I threw stock heads back on, and suddenly I could pull hills with the sidecar without downshifting.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Folks told me I had oversize exhaust valves in my Pan. I'm going to take a pix of them and post it. You tell me what kind of valves are in there. These are beater heads. But they ran and ran and were still doing the job, when I jerked 'em.
Maw!! Hey Maw!! Go get daddys camera.
kkrider

Post by kkrider »

The intakes don't look much bigger to me, if at all, but the exhausts look smaller. I think it could be an optical illusion also, as neither look to be sunk as much as the stock are. Nice!

Return to “Cylinderheads”