Junk head to cut fins off of to repair my set

lperrine

Junk head to cut fins off of to repair my set

Post by lperrine »

anybody out there have a old junk head laying around you don't want, that i can use to cut fins off of to repair my set? thanks
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Junk head

Post by Cotten »

That approach doesn't work very well.

A cut'n'paste repair is often ugly (like bubbles), hard to keep square, and sometimes stresscracks badly in service.

A pro welder can tig up the fin from scratch, bead after bead. Then a skilled hand with a whizzerwheel can carve things back to conformity. A good blast with steel shot puts a 'cast' finish on it, and only a skilled eye can then spot the repair.

The trick is to find a service shop with their soul into it.

(Disclaimer: It ain't me, since insurance and tax hurdles make it impossible to support a skilled workforce that can provide such services,...at this time.)
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Try Headhog:

http://www.headhog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem to be specialized in panhead head repairs. Just as long as your repairs don't make mine take longer...heh heh

Cheers,

Simon
ES175
Bikes: PANHEAD

Post by ES175 »

Does anyone have any experience with Headhog's valve seat repair? How is the cost? I just found out today that my valve seats are pretty well worn out. I have to make a repair or replace decision.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I haven't had Don do any for me, but I can still assert that an overlay process, such as he uses, is beyond any doubt superior to conventional seat replacement on a panhead.

Panheads were never designed to have inserts installed, and it is a marginal gamble to even attempt them.

But first, have you stuck an oversize valve in each hole and measured the stem height? Are you planning on a rad cam with a tall spring pack anyway?
There are many variables to consider.
ES175
Bikes: PANHEAD

Post by ES175 »

Cotten, where can I get oversize valves? I checked my manual and it mentions OS valves but I can't seem to find them in any catalogue. Even if the valves are a bit deep and the stem protrusion is over spec the springs could be shimmed. Do you know the effects on rocker geometry? The only other issue may be a slightly lowered compression ratio due to the valves being deeper in the head.
Our local guy cuts out the old seats, welds the head, then cuts the bore and installs a new seat. I have been involved in this type of repair on P&W cyclinders and if not done properly the seats fall out. If the heads can't be reworked I prefer Headhog's repair, and if not price prohibitive I may go for it.
The engine will be box stock.
Thanks
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The OS valves are readily available from many suppliers, but I suggest you have your chosen machine shop procure them to their best advantage.

Have you posted http://www.headhog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; direct?
headhog
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by headhog »

Iperrine,
Check out my website.www.headhog.com We do fin repair and all restoration work that is panhead cylinder head related. Dont cut out those seats. Headhog

ES175

I can help. check out my websitehttp://www.headhog.com We do a metallic overlay to the bronze seats and re machine a 3 angle seat. Factory valve stem protrusion. Have a great day Headhog

Return to “Cylinderheads”