Rocker arms and bases

elprojecto

Rocker arms and bases

Post by elprojecto »

I'm going to eventually need rocker arms and bases and I see sets on ebay go for between $75.00 to $150.00. They may be original sets or pieced together but most have at least a complete set. According to Palmer's book there are basically four different sets of rocker arms, each set having additional oiling grooves as the years progressed. Is it worth it to search out a set of the latest with the most oil passages or will any of them work for a basically stock engine which isn't going to be a restoration? Thanks.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Rocker arms and bases

Post by fourthgear »

elprojecto
There is a post on this sight , a long way back about the diff. in the oiling of the rockers and if you have a Clymer manual it shows the diff. . You can say what you want about that manual , but it does have a lot of good info in it . I have a new set in mine (complete) and even they did not have the latest upgrade for the oiling ( 3rd. gen. , I guess ), but are working fine. You have to understand that what you are getting from ebay are not new and even looking over them on there sight does not mean that they are in good order, they can be refurbished ,maybe ? . There are good new replacements out there .NOS parts for one my even have OEM sets .
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I took a quick peek into my collection yesterday, and never really found two rockers with the same profile on the end of the arm.

Most have the dual ramp instead of a simple rounded pad. I have always wondered what that's all about. Perhaps it is supposed to spin the valve?

....Cotten
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Cotton
I remember when a kid reading about panheads and one of the item features mentioned was "Rotating Exhaust Valves". To me, that could be a signal that the round rocker arm pallots are for the intake vavles and the ramped pallots as you mention are for the exhaust valves. I just wonder if someone has something on that observation???...Joe
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

At one time the Factory actually tried rotator spring collars, but I think they failed.

...Cotten

Return to “Cylinderheads”