Rocker cover question

cory
Bikes: *

Rocker cover question

Post by cory »

Ok, I've searched here and found alot of good info on how to do this right. I bought a set of Paughco chrome lids (all I could afford) They are actually better then I thought. I've cleaned the heads with acetone and they are spotless. I've sanded the lids flat on a piece of glass with 150 grit sandpaper. I have a set of cometic thin gaskets, and cometic felts. I plan on glueing the felts in with the 3m weather strip adhesive. What I would like to know is:

-How much of that yellow death do I put on to hold the felts in place?

-Is the lids going to be smooth enough with the 150 grit sandpaper? Or should I go over then with like a 320 grit?

-What do I use for an adhesive. I was thinking about using some of that copper coat spray??

-I plan on running these without the d-rings. I figure with all the work I've done making this as right as I can, I shouldn't need them. I know they help, but I really like the look with out them. Am I asking for trouble?
Thanks!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Cory!

These questions will elicit a lot of opinions, so I shall only address the easiest:

A coarse mill profile will hold a gasket better than a polish, so 150 grit will be fine.

...Cotten
VT

Post by VT »

-How much of that yellow death do I put on to hold the felts in place?
Ideally the open oblong holes of the felt pads should fit directly over the rocker arm bearings. I have an OEM felt and cover, I can post tomorrow.
Put the felt in place on the bottom of the cover where the oblong holes will sit above the rocker bearings, and trace a pencil line around the outside perimeter and also around the oblong holes. Put a glue-line of 3M in the centerline of the outline, inside the pattern.
Then, put a single-line of 3M inside the margin outline of the oblong holes and around the perimeter of the felt (1/4" from the felt edge so the 3m won't squish out when you press the felt down).
Let both 3M glue lines dry for about 2 minutes, then press the felts into the cover.
-What do I use for an adhesive. I was thinking about using some of that copper coat spray??
Use 3M to glue the sandpaper to the glass (forever).
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Like this , (from my 65 )

http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermine/d ... ?pos=-1331

I did not glue my other Pan's felts on , I placed them on top of the rockers and assembled the covers . They were thick enough to compress and stay there. The ones I used were James Gasket brand. It seems every one glues them though , I did not feel it was necessary because they were not going any where compressed like that.
VT

Post by VT »

Yep, that's about the right position. I'll snap a pic of the OEM one and you can see where Harley used glue divots (I assume), the size of dimes, in a few places to hold them in place. I don't know when the black 3M was used, but it t'weren't me.
I found that when using the thin cork gaskets, yes, the felts would just about be imprisoned by the top of the cover, but since Harley glued them, I would too. You don't want felt fibers being beat into the oil system from the flailing rocker arms, when and if, the felt ends sag and lay on the rocker arms like a wet blanket. The fibers will collect in the "witches hat" tappet screen.
VT

Post by VT »

This is the OEM position of the felts. The oblong holes should be directly over the rocker bearings. Using thin gaskets will allow the rocker arm bearings to make contact with the felts (depending on the actual depth of the repop covers. Covers vary from mfgr. to mfgr.) I opt for thick corks and 3M black weatherstripping to glue the felts to the cover. This application of black 3M (if that's what it is)i s a little too sloppy for my liking. Given that the felts get destroyed if you try to remove them, and the presence of the small factory embossed circles on this felt, I doubt these were ever removed. Doesn't look like a what you would see as a factory application of glue today though. But, the 3M weatherstripping is impervious to oil, so maybe the factory knew the glue wouldn't de-lam. and get run through the motor and didn't care if it spread-smeared. They used glue of some sort, even if 3M weatherstripping wasn't invented before 1948.
cory

Post by cory »

Thanks for the input fellas.
No one really commented on running with out the d-rings. I'd really like to hear from you guys who've been there before.
Also is it wise to use that copper spray gasket stuff on the pan gaskets? I was thinking about just running the gasket only, but I've used the spray gasket stuff on other applications and it works great. What's your thoughts?
Thanks
cory

Post by cory »

Oh yeah, One thing I forgot to ask,
Should I be using any loctite on the bolts? I was thinking about using the blue?
VT

Post by VT »

Also is it wise to use that copper spray gasket stuff on the pan gaskets?
No, it can create More trash that can go into your motor. If not when you apply it, then later when you try to remove the gasket. IMO, use thick gaskets and D-rings for the yer of your machine. Thick gaskets help keep the top of the covers from maybe making contact with the bearing or the felts.
Should I be using any loctite on the bolts? I was thinking about using the blue?
Sure. You can do that at the same time you're torquing the screws, criss-cross to 15 inch pounds.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

It must be pointed out the the thicker and spongier the gasket, the more the cover's flange can distort from the fastener stress.

With the flange ground perfectly flat, and a decent adhesive sealer upon a thin gasket (anything but sillycone), the screws become little more than an assembly aid for 'glueing' it all together.

Reinforcing rings should be regarded as "cosmetic".
Unless the top of the flange is also ground flat (good trick if you can do it!), as well as the bottom of the ring to a perfect mating, there is very little additional distribution of the fastener stress.

Upon inquiring of the Factory in the late '80s, it was suggested to use 3M Industrial Adhesive #800 for the felts. It carried an -80 OEM number, and was used as a case sealer.

....Cotten
Swan
Inactive member
Bikes: panhead
Moto Guzzi Mk 1 Le Mans

Re: Rocker cover question

Post by Swan »

I used Sellys Kwikgrip to glue the felts to the inside of the rocker covers, the label says it's suitable for metal & felt amongst other materials
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

hi,on the felts,what i do is set the felts on top of the rockers,where they fit, put the glue your using on the tin,or the felts,place the pan,without the gaskets on,set it down ,like your putting them on,lift back up,felts are in place,i've aways used the thick paper gaskets.seems to me on my 50,top of the rocker studs would hit the tins.plus i use gasket cinch glue.hope this helps.......WITH RESPECT...JR.....also lock tite is good for 200-300 degrees,i've use it,but the heat dissolves it,but it won't hurt nothing.......
well i see this is a old post,but i'll leave it any how...... :mrgreen:
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Why even bother tryin to stick the felts to the covers? A large percentage of the time they just come unstuck anyway. It is pretty obvious that the felts are usually compressed between the rocker assembly and the cover....bosheff
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Bosheff!

...."usually compressed" sounds like a risk involved?

The original OEM goober worked phenomenally.
I believe I have also observed it swabbed within gas tanks.
It was terribly solvent resistant, whatever it was.

We may never know.

....Cotten
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Shellack?

Return to “Cylinderheads”