The going rate for parts

Can anyone tell me the going rate for a set of used, good condition '48 casting heads?

suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

The going rate for parts

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Can anyone tell me the going rate for a set of used, good condition '48 casting heads?

I'm looking to have my '49's top end gone over, but want to minimize down time on the bike. I was thinking of buying the heads through somewhere like eBay and having them sent directly to a shop in the US to have the work done, then on to me here.

Which leads me to my second question: who would you recommend to do your headwork that's not booked out for the forseeable future? I know Cotten's booked solid...

Do you think it's worth continuing with the '48 castings if I already have a set, or is this a fine time to move to outside oilers - do the merits of this conversion outweight the hassles of performing it?

Cheers,

S.
panomania
Inactive member

Re: The going rate for parts

Post by panomania »

I have a set of 48 heads. They have new valve guides and s&s springs. They also have been opened for shovel valves. They screw in intake ports have had aluminum weld in type installed and I also hace a s&s intake for them. I wasnt really lookin to sell them, I was saving them for a rainy day, but I would let them go to a brother in need. e-mail me and we will work something out. somewhere in the range of $400.00.
plug and play... merry x-mas, pano
panhandler
Bikes: 1963 FL mod

Post by panhandler »

If you are still looking for someone to do head work, I had my heads redone in '99 at Shoeman's Custom Cycle in Reno, NV. In my opinion, the guy is an absolute wizard. The pan has never run stronger and the price was decent. He is old school and loves panheads. Good Luck.
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Still working on this but if you could let me know the contact details of the place it'd be appreciated.

Cheers,

S.
panhandler
Bikes: 1963 FL mod

Post by panhandler »

He has a web site at http://www.shoemanscycle.com

Return to “Cylinderheads”