STD heads: lap valve seats

Is it necessary to lap valve seats prior to valve fitting?

dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

STD heads: lap valve seats

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi, I've got my new STD heads and wondering if it 's necessary to lap valve seats prior to valve fitting; any advice?
panomania
Inactive member

Re: STD heads: lap valve seats

Post by panomania »

i just put some on my 48 but i purchased the complete assemblies. they run great! remember with these heads to have to install your dist, before your front head. the fins are much larger and wont let you install or remove with the heads on. i trimmed mine so my mallory could slip by without head removel . good luck, pano
dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi Pano, mine are naked, I've got to set guides and check the clearance with valve stem; i love that kind of job. In fact I believe my scoot will be closer to an early shovel now than a pan, but Pan heads replica don't exist soooooo that's will be right for me. The question remains: should I lap or should I go
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

dd -

If the heads came without guides, I would have the seats cut to make sure the seat face is true to the valve face. Lapping isn't enough, alone. And, cutting the seats will only shave a bare minimum of metal from them. Even if they came with guides, I run the cutter lightly over the seat, to check them. I don't trust bare heads, without doing this.

Jack
dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict »

Thanx Andrew, that's exactly what I will do, can't do it myself as I don't neither own the cutter nor the experience to make the job properly but my local workshop will.

Return to “Cylinderheads”