STD heads: a viable option?

potsonpans
Inactive member

STD heads: a viable option?

Post by potsonpans »

i have a 1959 duo glide.the standard heads are stuffed .i need to converse with someone who has been running std heads ,to see if these are a viable option

How ya goin. My name is PotsonPans from New South Wales,Australia. I have a1959 Duo Glide,slightly modified with a set of crook heads.I am looking at buying a set of STD heads.Is anybody out there running these heads,and if so ,what sort of mods would I have to do to fit these to my 1959 motor.I know that these STD heads are external oil feed,as oppossed to the internal feed on my 1959 motor.If I go this way,I also want to fit a late model Shovel oil pump.Again what sort of mods would I need to do to ???.Any feedback on my problem would be greatly appreciated
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Re: STD heads: a viable option?

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi and welcome Potson; I just bought a set of STD heads and they are great !
I own a 58 and there's nothing special to do; you can choose either external oiling or not just by plugging the external feed and choose for shovel style exhaust or Pan (but this must be done before ordering).
A Shovel oil pump is not necessary in my opinion my old iron pump works ok.
Use cast iron guides and Black melonites valves, regular upper collars, they seems to be the best for these heads.
You will surely need another intake manifold if you use S&S carb. If any others question; don't hesitate.
Eric
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

My STD heads just arrived a few days ago. My bike is also a 59. If you tell STD exactlly what you want they can supply heads which have the same layout as your original heads. Spigot type exhaust, "o" ring style inlet and internal oiling. You can use the original factory pipes and inlet manifold and Linkert carb. If you prefer, you can specify shovel type inlets and exhausts and external oiling. I asked for as near to original as possible and that is exactlly what I got. I ordered them through Nostalgia Cycle in Anaheim, California. $1350 with the valves fitted.
dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi Duo, here in france I didn't had the choice for original inlet, add to this that heads are sold naked, you have to do all the valve job. The nostalgia way seems to be the right one
potsonpans
Inactive member

Post by potsonpans »

Hi to Dirty Districts and Duo Dave.Thanks for your prompt reply.I am not 100% sure which heads I will use,but I am leaning towards the heads with shovel inlets,exhausts and external oiling.Where do I feed the external oil lines from.
dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict »

You can plug it on the tappet screen plug.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I have heard that you can feed the external oil lines back into the oil pump. Would this recirculate the oil rather than filtering it?
dirtydistrict and DuoDave, Do you know if they offer STD heads with two fins near the spark plug holes so they look like 58 to 62 heads? The replacement rear head on my bike has three fins at the spark plug with the boss for external oiler there but not drilled out so you could go either way.
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Hi Potsonpans,

Not a response to your question but just a quick g'day - I'm from the Sunshine Coast in Queensland myself, though I now live in Tokyo.
Great to see another Aussie pan-lover on this board!
Cheers,

S.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

I think all the STD heads have three fins by the spark plug. STD don't claim that their heads are exact reproductions of the originals. My STD heads don't have an oiler boss, so there is no provision for external oiling.
V-Twin make replica heads, but they list the same part number for 1955 up to 1962, so they can't be exact copies of the original heads either. By the photos, it looks like the V-Twin heads also have three fins by the spark plug.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Thanks for checking DuoDave!
I guess we have to keep repairing the old ones for now.

Return to “Cylinderheads”