Heads. When to hold when to fold?

wdglide
Bikes: 1951 fl
2008 flhx

Heads. When to hold when to fold?

Post by wdglide »

I'm about to send one head off to Don at Headhog to fix an intake nipple that needs sealing.

But I have a collection of small (?) issues with both heads. I have the typical cracks from plug hole to valve and one from head bolt to chamber. I also have some cracks/damage where the exhaust guide enters the exhaust port. This one - i'm not sure how serious it is.

Prior to pulling the heads the only issue I was aware of was the intake leak and head gasket leak. My hope was to fix the intake leak and ride it for now. I want to ride, so I'm more likely to replace with STD heads then wait 6 months for Don to restore them.

I guess I'm just looking for some second opinions before I ship them off for the intake repair.

Here's a couple photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Heads. When to hold when to fold?

Post by Bigincher »

It is a dilemma- wait for your stock heads to be repaired, or buy STD heads.
Personally, I always prefer to use OEM parts- but that's just me.
I think if it was me, I'd send both heads and let Don decide if they are repairable or not. And if they are, I'd want some kind of an idea of the cost, then weigh that against the cost of the STD heads. And that's a decision that only you can make. I know if you live where you can ride year-round, it would be tough to go without a motorcycle for so long.
Are there other things you want to do to the bike that you could use the down time to do it in? I don't know if that could work into the equation or not.
Well, I probably didn't help much, but those are my thoughts.
wdglide
2008 flhx

Post by wdglide »

I appreciate that. But I'm pretty much decided to go with STD if and when I have to.

I was really hoping for a second opinion on whether the I should just fix the intake leak for now. Let the whole restore/replace process wait until I "have to."

Does anything here look like an issue that cannot wait?
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Sorry, the links to your photos don't work for me, all I see are X's, no photos.
andyinlz
Bikes: 1967 FLH
1959 FLH
Other H-Ds

Post by andyinlz »

Repair the heads the right way and get another bike to ride in the interim!

A win/win outcome.
wdglide
2008 flhx

Post by wdglide »

here's a link to the photo album:

https://goo.gl/photos/gskwXHSqg9dBChQT9
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Put the heads back on with new head gaskets, (blue "James" gaskets). Correct the intake leak and check your work with a bubble test.
If all is well, run it and don't worry about it. Buy the STD heads and have them on the shelf for when/if your OEM heads fail. I'll never claim to be an expert, but it looks like your valve seats are in decent shape, not cut deep into the head the way a lot of them are.

The STD heads will be a big investment, but so will restoring your OEM heads at HeadHog. Don is not cheap, but cheap work isn't good- and good work isn't cheap. :wink: It sounds like you really want the STD heads, and if so, see if you get some more miles out of your OE heads first.
wdglide
2008 flhx

Post by wdglide »

Thanks! That was my plan. I just sent the head to Don an hour ago. I was hoping for some moral support.

I prefer to run as-is, not STD. I just prefer the STD over the long wait to restore.
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Re STD, I believe your '51 takes the plumber intake heads which are listed as available on JP Cycles unlike the other 2 bare head listings which are currently unavailable. In addition there were at least 2 Ebay Pan STD head listings withdrawn because "product was no longer available". I suppose this is pointing to some sort of shortage is stock/supply from the makers.
So just FYI.
wdglide
2008 flhx

Post by wdglide »

Aren't they all available direct from STD?
http://stddevelopment.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=15
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

wdglide wrote:Aren't they all available direct from STD?
http://stddevelopment.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=15
Did you throw a couple in the shopping cart and take them to check-out? That's where you'd find out if they have any in stock.
They might be so darn good, there's a run on them, who knows..?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

You did the right thing by sending them to get fixed!There was to many cracks & some runs to just use a blue James gasket & bubbletest!--They would of got worse to the point where you may have to start swapmeeting & looking for OEM heads.STD heads are very good castings & you can get them in any configuration for your needs!----Just that crack along the guide could make a spring keeper loosen-up & down goes the valve thru the piston!--THEN WHAT??----More damage maybe/?????-----Don will have your heads just as or BETTER then when first made!----Respectfully----Richie
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Wdglide, the photo of the valve guide seems to show carbon buildup with a big crack in it. The crack is in the carbon and not the head itself, is that right?
I think the previous poster is seeing that as a crack in the head, I'd like to know which is it ?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

It really dont matter,There are multiple cracks all over/the one from star to seat is bad enuff/simply put ,He did the right thing & fixed it!,no bandaid would last much longer without problems.They just get worse.-------Richie
wdglide
2008 flhx

Post by wdglide »

Should arrive at Don's today.

But the photos are of two different heads. One has the hairline cracks at the plug and star. The other has a crack int the exhaust guide casting.

On a side note, I called STD. They said they have all style and variations of heads available.

Return to “Cylinderheads”