FLE Heads vs. FLH Heads

Rockin' Ronny O!

FLE Heads vs. FLH Heads

Post by Rockin' Ronny O! »

Is there a difference between 1956 FLE heads and 1956 FL or FLH heads? If so, what is it?

I ask because my '56 FLE was recently judged at an AMCA meet and they said it had "incorrect" heads. I was wondering if there was maybe a difference in the number of fins or if there should be two fins by the sparkplug hole instead of three or if the intake flange is wider or shorter than the other........HELP!

Thanks.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

According to Greg Fields book on pans the 56 heads had 9 fins on the pushrod side (instead of six), twelve valve cover mounting holes and the casting mark 16700 56 Front or 16701 56 Rear cast into the heads, Judges wouldn't be able to see the casting marks because they were on top of the head in the area covered by the valve cover. And of course with that went new versions of the 3/4 inch cast aluminum D rings.

So I assume that they were counting the number of fins...

I checked with Palmers book and it says the same thing basically as well
Rockin' Ronny O!

Post by Rockin' Ronny O! »

Well, there's a 55 or a 56 stamped on the underside of the head between the pushrods. It's kind of hard to see because the sidecar is hooked up and there's no good angle to see it from.

The head has 7 fins. I guess I do have the wrong heads.

Thanks.

Rockin' Ronny O!

Return to “Cylinderheads”