noise in rocker box

Davidw04
Bikes: 1961 Panhead

noise in rocker box

Post by Davidw04 »

I have a 1961 duo-glide that was rebuilt in i believe 1989 and on the road until 1991 then sat until 2008 i rode it once or twice then and sat again until 3 weeks ago. the problem im having is a kind of clicking noise coming from the rear jug. I used a stethoscope and its coming from directly under the cover. i have 90 psi on a compression test stone cold and sitting for 2 days on both cylinders, bike starts after 1 or 2 kicks cold and idles fine. 30 psi on my oil pressure gauge when cold and around 5 once its warm (i know pressure doesnt mean much). Im trying to figure out if there is something wrong with components or a lack of oil issue. the pushrods have a light coat of oil on them but no visible flow. i can also hear the noise on the revolution of that jug when pushing the kicker by hand. Any suggestion on what i should check next?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: noise in rocker box

Post by Cotten »

David!

If you meant the "pan" valve cover, I would first suspect that a top spring collar is hitting the cover.
This is a common result of sinking the valves deeply, plus aftermarket covers.

.....Cotten
Davidw04

Post by Davidw04 »

Sorry the pan cover is what i meant. The engine was built by a well know builder and push rods spin freely with no slop when i check for any slack and i also beileve they are stock pan covers. What do you think the fix is? Thank you
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

David!

I regret we can't verify my wild guess without surgery.
But if I'm even partially correct, you will then have to make clearance.

Please explore all other possibilities first!

.....Cotten
Davidw04

Post by Davidw04 »

Can it be an oil issue? How can I tell if I am getting enough oil to the top end? Also how much should I see when the bike is running and the pushrod covers are off?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The oil drains back to the lower end on the left side of the jug, not down the push rod tubes like a knuckle head. You may see a small amount dripping down that way perhaps...Can you tell with your stethoscope if the rocker is actually hitting the top of the pan above the valve? Check the left side where the valves are...Mike
Davidw04

Post by Davidw04 »

Mike,

The noise seems to be coming from the right side of the engine right about the pushrods. i was thinking maybe pushrod adjustment what do you think?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I would inspect the push rods to see if you have a loose one. Or you could have one that is mushrooming where the tip is pressed into the rod, see if you can insert a stick or something into the rocker where the push rod goes and try to "jiggle it" perhaps you have a worn rocker. Were the tappet rollers inspected when the motor was re-built? I hope you find an easy fix! Mike
bangkokbob
Bikes: 94FLSTN
63FLH

Post by bangkokbob »

Hi there.
Does it make any noise when it's cold and if no does it take 5-10 mins to appear?
Mine does this and comes from back head when I run solids and front when I use Hydraulics.
I have excess end float on rocker arms than can be felt if you put pressure ( in and out) on top of P/rods with covers removed.
Annoying but bike runs well and will lift heads to fix in the fullness of time.
Regards B.B.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

If its on the right side -to me that raises 2-questions?///Check P-rod ADJ. of course ,Also while your spinning the motor over Put a finger On the ALREADY ADJ. P-rod & See if you feel a CLICK on the P-rod.If yes the next Question would be How are the Rollers on the tappets Mileage wise?.If HYD. There more forgiving ,But on a Solid tappet set-up I change my rollers out every 20K or 2yrs.I have seen & diagnosed this exact problem already!--If your lucky it may be a spring issue or coller .Just remember a bazillion miles on any needle-rollers is a grenade waiting to fragment.And the aftermath would be really bad if those rollers get to the Pinion!-(OUCH).---Respectfuly-----RICHIE
Davidw04

Post by Davidw04 »

The motor had a complete rebuild by a well know builder and only has about 2300 miles on it since the rebuild. The noise is consistent whether warm or cold.It can even be heard on a cold engine my cranking it over with the ignition off. When i get a minute i will run out to the garage so see if i can feel it in the pushrod when i kick it over.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

David!

Along with Richie's warning about the rollers,

Please note that extreme wear into the rocker cups to where there are raised "eyes":
ROCKREYE.jpg
....can cause a fresh or aftermarket pushrod to 'jump'.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dadeamann
Bikes: 1973 flh 1953 fle

Post by dadeamann »

i had a noise coming from what i thought was the right side front head. tore head off and everything looked good. ended up that my pinion nut backed out and was hitting the bushing.

just a thought. not too hard to put the cam cover off to rule it out.
Davidw04

Post by Davidw04 »

I was just feeling for the noise and noticed that I can't completely turn the front pushrod on the rear jug so I am beginning to think its a bent push rod. What do you guys think?
Davidw04

Post by Davidw04 »

Took pushrod out and it was completely straight and rocker wasn't completely right but it didn't feel real loose.. What are the chances the felt fell down allowing noise to make its way out? Also where will I find my tappet screen? I can't seem to find the cap that it's under only the 2 with the check valves on the oil pump. And should there be visible oil when the pushrod is out? Is it possible to take pan cover off without removing engine from frame?

Return to “Cylinderheads”