Pan Shovel heads

adam935

Pan Shovel heads

Post by adam935 »

I got a 1948 pan/shovel was thinking about bringing it back to a full panhead are just rocker boxes just not sure what i would need and how much it would cost
THANKS
sleeper

Re: Pan Shovel heads

Post by sleeper »

You will need Pan (Heads) complete & the intake manifold & exhaust pipes as well.
STD makes some sweet heads. Look in the archives.
There are pics.
chucktx

Post by chucktx »

your shovel heads are probably set up for outside oilers....the new heads you get should be set up for the same....stock 48's were inside......
chucktx
krazyloop

Post by krazyloop »

Don't forget pan barrels, too, unless you use aftermarket heads that have a bolt pattern that accepts pan or shovel barrels. You cannot safely alter pan or shovel heads to accept the other's barrels that I am aware of because the heads are aluminum and the headbolt holes are bored into steel inserts, not into the aluminum.
If you use a 1963 to 1965 pan upper you need outside oil lines. Most aftermarket heads come with outside oil spigots/holes for brass fittings.
If I remember correctly, what you CANNOT use are inside oiler heads like 1948 - 1962 AND later pan barrels like 1963 - 1965. If you do you will have zero head oiling due to the fact that the later pan barrels do not have oil feed holes to the upper end cast into them.
adam935

Post by adam935 »

Thanks for all the info sounds like it will be a big job and expensive will have to think about it but thanks all
krazyloop

Post by krazyloop »

Actually it is pretty simple once you have all the parts. I forgot that you will need new pushrods, upper pushrod clips, a new manifold, and depending on what you are running right now a new carburetor as well.
Myself, for variety with every upper end rebuild, I swap the pan and shovel tops and use the same adjustable mainjet Bendix carburetor and same throttle assembly. That gives me a new upper end waiting to go, and an old one I can take my time rebuilding right.

Return to “Cylinderheads”