FELTS?

1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

FELTS?

Post by 1964 pan »

In your opinion? What is the best adhesive to attach felts to the rocker arm covers :?:
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: FELTS?

Post by 58flh »

64 PAN---I have used 3-M spray adhesive & very mrginal at that!,The Rockers covers will hold them in place!,-I know guys who dont use anything & never have had an issue!--I spray -the 1-side near the ends olny,& I spray very-little at that!--no need to spray in the middle as Rocker -top-block will compress & hold the Felts in place!--(MAKE-SURE ALL IS VERY CLEAN & WIPED with ALCOHOL so no oil film is on the cover!)--Another thing that I heard of guys using is --Yamabond,& Gorilla Snot!.The 3-M has been working for YRS. on my motor/motors,-so I stick with what I know,& 3-m spray Adhesive is $10 or less for a can,-They have diff. ones -Get the one thats for high heat use!-its usually in a BLACK-CAN. But I would read the Temp.-Range on the can!--my 2 on it---RICHIE 8)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

1964 pan!

Richie is right that most felts should end up pinched by the rocker nuts.
However, little assembly aid is useful for inspection, if nothing else!

The original was a swabbed heavy tar-like compound of some sort, which is still miraculously impervious to modern fuels.

I called the MoCo back in the '80s, and got somebody who prescribed the case sealer of the day: 3M Industrial Adhesive #800, with a -80 or so part number.
Its great goober, but less is better in this application, and Richie's spray may be best.
Of greater concern is the quality of the felts, as some generic offerings of the last couple of decades can disintegrate, and block drains.

The worst possible scenario is if a leaky petcock allows digestive P4gas to drool into, (and even fill), the motorcases.
When fired and pumped, anything can come loose.

....Cotten
tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

Post by tschukojr »

i have been playing around with my heads and felts recently, because i had cover leaks ----(and i read everything in the knowledge base)---its been my experince that ,some -- or at least the after market felts i bought from j&p and also some other place are a bit thicker than -- OEM felts , and i discovered this cause my valve covers would'nt fit down flat on the heads with out a little force, well more than just a little pressure, and the studs and nuts are flush or just below the rocker bearings----------my friend had some at his shop, ,new felts from the moco-- and they were noticibly thinner and allow the cover to sit flat with almost no pressure------just saying---------------tony
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Im pretty sure all I used was spray on gasket sealant from permatex.I sprayed it on the felts on one side and placed it in the clean pan.That was 18 years ago and after taking my heads off last summer,they were still stuck on there.It was the red stuff.http://www.bowessealfast.com/p-562-perm ... l-can.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

3M from NAPA, its held on my pan for at least 10 years with NO sign of loosening. This is the yellow, also comes in black.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Guys as far as FELTS are concerned,-no 2 companys are alike!--1 guy mentioned that he had to really push-down on the cover to catch a screw!, others barely hold-on with the top-block studs!--I have been using JAMES FELTS that come with the top-end kit!-(you can also purchase them seperatly!).Never had a problem with those.As Cotton mentioned sometimes they actually CRUMBLE!--I have seen 1 like that on a 52,we were rebuilding!---Dont know what manufacturer it came from, so just be-ware of good prices & no-name you ever heard of!.----Richie
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

a little advice,put what ever goop your using on the felt,set the felt on the rockers where they go,set the pan on top,with out the gasket,but with the goop on the tin,push down,take it back off,it be stuck on where it belongs.........JR..........also i use the thick paper gaskets......
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan »

I have some of the Permatex black super weatherstrip adhesive that should do the trick. The felts are from James gaskets. Thanks , all, for the advice. Jr Johnson. My next question was going to be, use the thin or thick rocker cover gaskets?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Just make sure your tins are nice and flat, give them a little attention with some emery cloth on a flat surface....
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

64---As to using the thicker pan- gasket, thats fine --as long as your cam is stock,or close to it!--The Pans can be lifted so to say for clearence!-(they make the metal spacers I call em.-But If you are running a hi-lift cam then using the S&S spring & collars are the way to go!-I was never a fan of stacking ,as it just gives more places for OIL to SEEP!---You tend to see what alot of backyard -engineering is when ripping into any motor or trans!--Most of it is GREAT,-but when you get to the half-assed piece together--you know it :lol: ----Richie

Return to “Cylinderheads”