KNUK-EX. Guide in Pan!

58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

KNUK-EX. Guide in Pan!

Post by 58flh »

OK guys heres what happened!--I ordered new guides & seals for my 58 Pan. 3 of them were correct -ROWE guides & 1 Rowe Ex. was for a knucklehead!-(how you do this I dont know!)--Anyway I changed all the guides & The knuck-guide is bigger SO I machined it down!--I needed to remove .077 fron the press in part to bring it to .572-(.006 over)-Above the hat I had to remove from .860 to .564, thats what the others meas. so the Teflon seals would fit nice!---The hat had to be turned down also as you know knucks have a large surface area to sit on to when pressed in!--From the hat to top I had to remove .125 so no interference with retainers or anything else would be an issue!. NOW the guide is .125 smaller then the rest!--I figured Im not running a A or any hi-lift cam! So that should not be an issue!--Im running a mild FLH type cam. SO far I have ,well after this mornings 4am run ,I have 194 miles on her & all is well! Starts & ran as before!-1-KICK BIKE!. I used plenty of HI-TEMP SILLYCONE on the spigots!--No EX. leaks!!-(thats what caused my ex. guide to loosen-up in the first place!). ALL gaskets are (JAMES) & I lapped all the valves to the seats till I had a nice shiny ring about a 1/16 thick all around!. I had to tip the valves .002 for exact required hight specs!. The olny valve I had to ream was the knuck one!--I had .001 on the ex. so I reamed to .002 & All is good!--The last 2 weeks have been a hassle!--Mass transit SUCKS, I hate BUSES! I called JP & they said send it back & we will give you credit on your next purchase & Also we do not have anymore -you got the last ROWE CAST-IRON guides ,for BOTH models & have been discontinued!!--I asked Do you guys have to reorder & He replied NO!-THEY are DISCONTINUED. WELL why did you tell me you had all 4 guides that I needed? OUR mistake SORRY!.-(so they sent a knuck-guide that looks nothing close to a pan guide!)--I did a little research & -( JW BOONE has guides in sizes up to .008 over!)--& CHEAPER! by a buck a piece!---SO just wanted to throw that out there!---RICHIE---MAN its nice to have WHEELS-UP AGAIN! 8)
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Re: KNUK-EX. Guide in Pan!

Post by George Greer »

Richie.......

Your comment on J&P it the exact reason I WON"T use them........

For the most part, their customer service sucks....

Tech Dept Rep is a smartmouth asswipe.

I will NEVER buy from them again ever... Period.

Lucky for me since I am still here in Germany and have access to JW Boon, and can get NOS parts..........

I will get the parts I need from him.

George
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

GEORGE!--You are absolutly correct!--I went thru 2 women & 3 men in cust. service!--I will olny order from them again if they step up to the plate!-& IMPROVE!---RICHIE!---Check your PM :!:
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Girls go wild over pans with knuckle guides - use caution.
Jerry
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

No matter how you modify Knuckle parts, they will reject placement in a Pan. I mean , come on, are you kidding?? :mrgreen:
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

AS to ROBBIES ? WHY?---ITS exactly as the others SO whats the PROBLEM!--BIKE is running fine!--I really want to hear your answer!---RICHIE---Also they are all cast-iron ROWE guides! YOU got me lost :roll:
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Are you still asleep Richie?? Did you actually read what I said?? Did you see the little green Man?? :shock:
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

GODAM ROBBIE! :lol: ---YOU had my brain on fire!--WHAT did I do wrong?, NOW I see the GREEN MAN!--I didnt even notice it when I first read it!. CERTAIN GUYS as YOU & COTTON & KIT ,Hell I cant mention everybody, BUT I VALUE YOUR INPUT VERY MUCH!!--(THANK TO ALL you MEN!). IT dont matter how long your doing motors!--I have been at it since a kid/ workin with dad on his bikes & 57 nomad wagon. I have been using metal cutting machines from an early age!--(ALWAYS with DAD EYE on me). And I can HONESTLY SAY---THAT YOU never can learn IT ALL!---THIS site is the BEST out there as far as our machines are concerned! AND I have LEARNED THINGS HERE from SAID GUYS!--THAT otherwise I would not know!---THANKS TO ALL who CONTRIBUTE IDEAS!-AFTER all This is & has always been fun for me!--(even the failures at age 17 with my first sporty I put together from a basket)--DAD said use these cams not those!--I chose higher lift by .025 IF I remember. BUT at 17 you cant tell me shit!--Well POP was RIGHT AGAIN!--I changed the cams & picked-up almost a second & a 1/4 faster -ON street tires no bars. WELL ENUFF! :lol: , Thanks Again to you men who make this what it is!!! :!: :!: ----RICHIE
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Richie..........he's a just funninn with ya :lol:

Glasses.......... :oops:

Get them, :D wear use them :D love them :D

George :D
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

GEORGE!---NOW ALL know I need em! :shock: ---YEA its been some time now I have read a book 3-feet from my face!, At work I have 1 of those cornel Klink Magnyfying circle that has a chain on it & folds in a leather sheath! :lol: ---Otherwise I cant read the micrometers!---Wify made an apointment with the Doc. for MOn. of next week!---The relief will be the HEADACHES going away when reading!----George knows my eyes are bad!, About the olny 1 on here!---Oh well no big deal I guess IM not 25 anymore! :lol: ---Also the + side, WOMEN will look better up close :twisted: ----RICHIE 8)
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Oops :oops:
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Story from my youth...

I had to replace a pair of glasses what were old.

Stopped by a Pearl Vision Center in the local mall..........got the glasses repaced, and fitted...

Leaving the mall, a cutie was coming in........well, being the gentleman that I was, I held the door open for her........just to look at her butt with the new glasses!...

Not paying attention to the pole in front of my face, and I ran smack into it, breaking the damn glasses and cutting my eye..........turned around, went back to Pearl.....lady was shaken seeing the blood on my face.......and asked what happened.

I told her, and as she was cleaning the blood off my cut, and having the service tech prepair another set of glasses for me.......she burst into a laughing fit, saying Pearl Glasses work too good!!

I still got that freaking scar.

George
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

george,

you just gave me a good reason to go get new glasses!

john
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

1950Panhead wrote:Girls go wild over pans with knuckle guides - use caution. Jerry
they go even wilder if the knuck parts have been chromed, but make sure you have your new glasses on so you can see the girls gone wild! :wink:

so, what happened to this thread anyway? are we all nuts? who cares, I love it! :D

mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

It must be my obsolete browser,...
but I still don't get the joke.

Meanwhile, I have it from another forum that the best possible valve guides are cut from window weights.

I tried for a minute.
That's incredibly tough stuff!

....Cotten

Return to “Cylinderheads”