HEAT on EX. from leaky pipe!

58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

HEAT on EX. from leaky pipe!

Post by 58flh »

Hey guys!--2 days ago I hit a steep driveway & scraped the bottom of my EX. pipe-(front). I should of checked it so its my fault for not doing so!--Anyway the front pipe slipped off the EX. spigot & let just enuff of an air leak thru the slot in the pipe!. I rode for 2 days like this when all of a sudden a LOUD CLACK HAPPENED!---The VAC.-LEAK let the temp. to rise in the head & my guide had dropped & operated with the valve--up & down!--It could of been worse!.---Any way I posted some pics. These heads have 24,000 miles on them & change. NO cracks from spark-plug hole to seats or anywhere else!--I used MMO religiously to every tank of fuel!--Timing was never to much advanced!--As this will raise temps also. Here are the pics. The heads are in GREAT SHAPE! & it could of been prevented if I checked it!---Im posting this so the new guys can see what can happen from a simple VAC.-LEAK!---RICHIE

As YOU can see from tearing the heads off every 2yrs., & having a looksee, It pays off! NO VAC. LEAKS are a MUST as COTTON STRESSES! ANY LEAK in these areas-(Intake & EX.pipes) Has a TEMPERATURE rising effect!--HOLES in pistons ETC.---Also timing is important! --To ADV. & TEMPS RISE!---These heads are in great condition! no cracks in combustion chamber. I have 1 crack in the top motormount area of rear head!, about a 3/8 of an inch long!--I will weld that crack myself!---My seats are Hi-zinc--bronze ones from the factory!--They are the oem seats!--I aquired the motor with 30+ thousand on it & tore it down & rbuilt it using tighter clearences!, with a slow break in!!-(many oil changes in first 1000 miles). The valves as you can see have a 1/16 margin still!--(22+yrs. of useage)--Just a simple valve laping when needed!--turned out to be about every 4 yrs. The seats did not get hammered in anymore then when I first aquired the motor!--That is due to oem spring pressures & a stock FLH cam just slightly reground on the EX. for a slight hangtime. Thats it!--She is still at .030 over & cyl. look great!--Also I have no problems being 2-up & holding my own with the new bikes!.-(gearing)--She dont feel like a grenade under her at 65MPH.----RICHIE

heads1.jpg
heads2.jpg
heads3.jpg
heads4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: HEAT on EX. from leaky pipe!

Post by Cotten »

Richie!

I know exhaust leaks are bad, because every 'pow-pow-pow' when the weather is cool is like a hammerstroke on the exhaust valve.

But how does an exhaust leak make heat upstream at the head?

....Cotten
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: HEAT on EX. from leaky pipe!

Post by 58flh »

COTTON---I ghecked the manifold as I tore it apart & noticed fuel on my finger when I touched the clamp!---A wrestling match with a ride-on mower about a month ago :lol: , It hit the aircleaner upon putting it away!--VAC-LEAK!--I was realy expecting worse!--(LUCKY)!----RICHIE :!:

Return to “Cylinderheads”