Lurking awhile

48moneypit
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948 panhead chopper

Lurking awhile

Post by 48moneypit »

Been lurking here for awhile...great site. Tons of great info. Been restoring a 48 panhead chopper my brother bought back in 1972. He broke the motor in 94, had the top and lower done in 97 and then covered it up in his garage till this year. The frame has been hanging in my shop since 1998. He had found a crack in the seat tube and I had a welder......He bought a 97 Softail that year so the 48 took a back seat. Got her welded up, smoothed and painted last month. I've spent the last 2 months putting everything together and running, believe it or not. 3-4 kicks. I'm a car guy so I can say I came into this blind and have learned quit a bit about the Panheads.

Had to R&R the oil pump for a major leak. Other than that shes seems pretty tight for the time being anyway. One small oil leak at the left front head bolt on the front cylinder inbetween two fins. I appears to be a flaw in the casting that finnally opened up during the last rebuild dare I assume. My brother claims it never leaked there before.

Anyone run into a similar crank opening up in a head and be repairable? I understand that the old castings had steel inserts cast right into the aluminum. It appears to be right at the head bolt boss in the head about 3-4 fins up from the jug.

Thanks,
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Lurking awhile

Post by steve_wood »

I have a crack like that in my rear head. Most likely caused by over-torquing the head bolt. I have a good quality torque wrench, so I'm thinking that the old aluminum in the heads may be more brittle than it was when new and not able to withstand the full 65 foot-pounds.
48moneypit
Inactive member

Post by 48moneypit »

Thanks Steve, yea, I agree that the old aluminum got weaker after years of fatigue and who knows how many head R&R's. Wonder if peening the crack lightly with a punch would seal it up enough or make it worse? Might ask the brother about giving that a try.

Thanks again,
Steve
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

You could have it welded up...
48moneypit
Inactive member

Post by 48moneypit »

Thanks Panacea,

Yeah, thought of that. Probably a good idea to pull both heads and check em over real well. I didn't rebuild the 61 for him. I just prepped the frame, painted and have been reassembling everything the last 2 months. It's been fun. Seems the shop that did, went out of business sometime during the last 15 years. Not that it would have made a difference considering how long it's been under cover. Anyway, have done as much as I can do here. He's on his way up to pick her up for the ride home. I feel bad about the cracked head and wish him luck. He was hoping to get some seat time in this summer. Again, great site, sent him the link for future reference.

Thanks,
Steve

Return to “Cylinderheads”