1980-83 FXWG fork damper assembly

Is the piston with the two Teflon rings supposed to separate from the tamper tube, because one of mine did. It seems that's the only thing that keeps the lower from falling off the fork tube.

Topics on all other models that fit in no other section
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

1980-83 FXWG fork damper assembly

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Rebuilding a set of dual disk 1980-83 FXWG forks to put on my panhead, and when I took it apart the part with the grooves that hold the two Teflon or plastic rings (which I'll call the "piston" for lack of knowing the proper term for it) fell off the damper tube with the holes in it. I cleaned everything up and put a light coating of fork oil on the parts to test fit it all. I pushed the piston back on the damper and slid it into the fork tube after the rebound spring. I used the long fork spring to apply pressure on the damper so I could tighten the bottom bolt that fastens the damper tube to the fork lower. With everything bolted together I was able to pull the lower off of the fork tube with no effort, and I hadn't yet installed the spring. This can't be right. I'm sure this is not an original feature of the design. Seems very dangerous to me, as well as what's to prevent the fork from falling apart when you jack up the front end and remove the wheel? I ordered a new damper assembly pair and I assume they aren't meant to come apart.
Thanks

Also, anyone have a 1980-83 right side front caliper they want to sell?
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Re: 1980-83 FXWG fork damper assembly

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Mongrel505558 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:43 am Rebuilding a set of dual disk 1980-83 FXWG forks to put on my panhead, and when I took it apart the part with the grooves that hold the two Teflon or plastic rings (which I'll call the "piston" for lack of knowing the proper term for it) fell off the damper tube. I cleaned everything up and put a light coating of fork oil on the parts to test fit it all. I pushed the piston back on the damper and slid it into the fork tube after the rebound spring. I used the long fork spring to apply pressure on the damper so I could tighten the bottom bolt that fastens the damper tube to the fork lower. With everything bolted together I was able to pull the lower off of the fork tube with no effort, and I hadn't yet installed the spring. This can't be right. I'm sure this is not an original feature of the design. Seems very dangerous to me, as well as what's to prevent the fork from falling apart when you jack up the front end and remove the wheel? I ordered a new damper assembly pair and I assume they aren't meant to come apart.
Thanks

Also, anyone have a 1980-83 right side front caliper they want to sell?

Return to “Other models”