Fred pickering
Inactive member
Bikes: 09 CVO Fatbob
2010 Ultra Classic Limited
09 VForce Customs Chopper
53 Panhead project bike.

Dash console

Post by Fred pickering »

Kinda feel like a lepper posting questions i know most here are well in the know on Pans so my questions probley seem dumb to most hence not many repleys.

Putting my 53 together keep in mind i brought home a frame, trans, and engine thats it from there i have had to read read read and read more to get the bike into final assembely.

Looking threw knowledge base iam either missing or it isnt there but my question is on the dash console and plate i ordered a complete kit from Custom Krome my question is what and were do all the oval, and egg shaped spacers go, theres also square looking brackets , along with black fiber pieces as well with no directions, and no ref pics in manuels winging it is pretty tough i have invested alot of hard earned money to make this bike reality for me since age 25 i have wanted a pan i hate to find out the hard way and damage something by not installing this right also theres pop rivits which i have no clue what there for.

Many here are my senior and my respect runs deep again if i would have bought a complete to restore i would at least have referance but again a fram, engine, and trans, thanks in advance.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Dash console

Post by panhead »

Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

I might be able to help you a little.

The square brackets and rivets are generally used to hold circuit breakers (probably not included in the kit). Most guys will rivet those to the back side of the dash plate, just be careful because it gets kinda tight under there and you don't want them to short out on anything.

Just a guess, but some of the metal spacers might be used to raise the dash and igntion switch up to meet the dash cover for appearance purposes. Do any of the holes in the spacers line up with anything on the dash console?

Regarding the actual wiring, check the knowledge base as most of the wiring diagrams are there and they are pretty basic.
Fred pickering
Inactive member
53 Panhead project bike.

Post by Fred pickering »

Thanks for the repleys worked on it yesterday again and i had seen the pic than Panhead has linked to in that pic it shows screws for the speedo holes Teds speedo has built in pins which when you install the rubber bushings which must be for anti vib so the speedo last 50 miles lol the speedo light then stays ungrounded and the light wont light.

Honeslty the quailty of Ted, Kc and most is so bad they should be ashamed to sell the stuff the ing switch fell apart that came with the kit , so i found a Nos unit that works great. Again thanks for the help...
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Fred, I've got a '52 FL in the midst of a restoration right now. It's a long haul, especially since I work full time, and some Saturdays too. So my shop time is very limited. But I've patiently and quietly aquired all OEM parts that I needed, and I've been researching, studying, and gathering information for the past 3 years, at least.
Since your '53 is essentially identical to my '52, I may be able to help you out with some information if you ever get up against the wall. Just shoot me a PM with your email address-- I'm no "expert", but I'm certainly willing to help you out in any way I can............... just ask..! :)
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Fred, you didnt mention it but one of the first and most helpfull essentials would be to aquire a 48 to 57 parts book and 48 to 57 shop manual. reprints are available. Antique Cycle Supply is one of many suppliers for good parts and literature like the manuals I mentioned above....Joe
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Fred, another "Must Have" is the older 1994 Bruce Palmer III original or reprint book "How to Restore Your Harley Davidson". This book answers a lot of questions. You will need all these books to create as close to correct machine. There may even be an updated version of it. Every time you come near this project, you will have a question or two, always. Many parts have small differences and its easy to buy the wrong one at a swap table haveing no info makes it difficult sometimes to decide if you really need the piece. Palmers book has good pics of some of the progessing changes Harley made over the years......Joe
Fred pickering
Inactive member
53 Panhead project bike.

Post by Fred pickering »

Thanks again for the offers and help . Good point on swap meets been hitting them for 7 months and if your not careful since most of the vendors dont know what they even have you can end up bringing home alot of worthless wares.

I do have the HD books which helps and sadly when i go to swap meets i have Vtwin, KC, and Drag S part numbers on a cheat sheet since again most guys selling dont even know what they have. Wish out of all the meets i have been to there was one dedicated to HD old iron .. Thanks again.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Where are ya located in Michigan?....bosheff
Fred pickering
Inactive member
53 Panhead project bike.