POLICE SPEEDO

Scrimhorse

POLICE SPEEDO

Post by Scrimhorse »

Hello.
Can you help please,i am restoring a 1965 Pan ex police bike. Not much police stuff on it.I am trying to find out how the speedo supposed to work.It has the small fitting attached which has two wires in it ,but they have been cut. Can anyone let me know how it is supposed to work. Should it have a switch,& where are the two wires to be connected?. Your help would be appreciated.

Regards Scrimhorse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: pOLICE SPEEDO

Post by RUBONE »

What you have is a speedometer hand-lock. The way it works is as follows;
One of the wires goes to a power source, normally a dash terminal that is always hot when the ignition is on. The other wire goes to an unused post on the terminal board in the headlight and is connected to a handlebar switch just like the horn button. When the button is pressed it completes a circuit which activates the hand lock. The lock itself is an electro-magnetic switch (think solenoid) that extends when the button is pressed and a small rubber stopper contacts the speedo inner wheel and makes the needle stay wherever it is at that moment. The dash base should have a small plunger on a flat spring riveted to the base. It protrudes through the side of the dash in the hole provided. (ever wonder why dash covers have that little cover on the left side?) When the plunger is pushed it releases the hand lock and the needle goes back to zero.
That is all there is to it. Have fun!
Robbie
Scrimhorse

Re: POLICE SPEEDO

Post by Scrimhorse »

Thanks Robbie.
All i need now is that little plunger.Many thanks.

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”