Stupid Question maybe, but I gotta ask...

TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Stupid Question maybe, but I gotta ask...

Post by TimmyV »

Finally got the correct cable for the aftermarket speedo on my '61 Panhead, only to find out that the frame has been altered & the opening in the top frame for the cable is now solid. It appears the frame has been altered at some point & then put back to stock rake with steel slug in top tube to join pieces, dammit. No way to get drive cable to speedo as it exists now. Does anyone make a swivel or something for this situation? I've looked but cannot find anything that looks like it will work.

If all else fails I suppose I will have to mount a tach in the speedo location so I will have a rough idea of my speed in 4th gear. 2:1 ratio 2000rpm = 60 mph
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Stupid Question maybe, but I gotta ask...

Post by Bosheff »

If ya think ya gotta know yer speed, run an FX or XL speedo setup off the front wheel to the handlebars, or get real brave an do an exploritory on the backbone of the frame....bosheff
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

drill a hole through it!

john
TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

Bosheff wrote:If ya think ya gotta know yer speed, run an FX or XL speedo setup off the front wheel to the handlebars, or get real brave an do an exploritory on the backbone of the frame....bosheff
It's not that I'm obsessed with knowing how fast I'm going, but it does come in handy when the local authorities are right behind you. lol. Really don't want to mount the speedo on the bars, although the idea had crossed my mind about simply getting a longer cable for the tranny drive if I could find one & do just that.
john HD wrote:drill a hole through it!
john
I used a 1/4" carbide bit & drilled 5/8" deep & still hadn't hit a hollow tube as expected. That's when I stopped drilling. Still thinking about completing the job, just have concerns about a 13/16" ( at minimum ) hole & thought perhaps I should ask someone who might know about these things.

Still have lots to do to get this ol' girl back in shape, the speedo isn't exactly at the top of the list anyways. It just happened to be in the milk crate of parts that came with the bike & I thought it would be an easy fix. Little did I know.

Spent the last week or so working on the rear brake caliper system. New master cylinder, all new lines & total rebuild of old banana caliper. The last of my parts to complete the job should be here tomorrow... hopefully.

One step at a time.

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”